Put up 2010 Mac Mini, what upgrades now?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by sgiera, Feb 9, 2015.

1. sgiera macrumors member

I just picked up a 2010 mac mini, 2.4 GHz, with 2 gigs of ram.

I am going to use this mac mini to run all of my media for the whole house with my apple tv's.

First: I want to upgrade ram to 8 gigs. Is that enough or should I go 16 gigs?

Second: Main hard drive. Should I get an SSD or hybrid if so, which one and how big?

Third: Second hard drive. Should I get a non SSD to house the music and movies, if so, which one should I get and how big? The largest one I could find is a 2tb 2.5 sata hard drive.

Fourth: I have a mediasonic probox which houses all of my media which is around 14 tbs of movies. Should I use the FireWire 800 port instead of the usb port which is 2, not USB 3.

Last: What operating systems should I use?

Anything else that I'm missing or need?

Thank you,

Steven

2. dyt1983, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

3. sgiera thread starter macrumors member

dyt1983,
    Thank you for your replay.

My music and tv shows on there for the wife and kids is around 600 gigs along with some movies I drop in so that is why I'm looking for the second hard drive so I don't have to keep the mediasonic probox on all of the time.

thank you

4. dyt1983, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

5. Joelburman macrumors regular

Joelburman

I had a 2010 (8gb of RAM) and a Kingston SSD. It ran Mavericks without any problems.