Put your phone in airplane mode before backing up!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pj rage, Aug 19, 2008.

1. pj rage macrumors 6502

This may have been covered in one of the huge backup threads, but just FYI for everyone who doesn't know, put your phone in airplane mode before you backup!! I just started a backup (which takes over an hour) and about 15 minutes in I got a phone call. Does it resume the backup? Nope, 15 minutes wasted. Sigh.

2. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

yep. i learned that the hard way too. though for me, it usually ends up with itunes committing spinning-beachball suicide and sometimes it kills my phone too.

3. pj rage thread starter macrumors 6502

Eek. I guess I was lucky then, if you can call it that. I normally wouldn't care so much, but I'm a little excited/anxious to try jailbreaking for the first time, and I wanted to get a backup in first.

4. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Wait, what did you do to make it stop? Mine was backing up yesterday (in advance of upgrading to 2.0.2), and I got a call. I just answered the call, and the backup continued during the phone call. When I hung up after like 10 minutes, the backup kept going until it was done.

5. pj rage thread starter macrumors 6502

It was maybe 20% done, I saw the call, answered, talked, then pressed end call, set the phone down and watch in anticipation at the itunes info screen. It DID bring up the backup screen again, but it was starting from 0% and going slow as ever (as in not going speedily back up to the 20%).

So I don't think I did anything to stop it? This is the first time it's happened, so I have no idea if 2.0.2 somehow changed something?