Putting 1TB SSD in Late 2013 15" MBPr

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jfriedman8, Mar 17, 2015.

1. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

I am looking into buying off of eBay one of these "New in Sealed ESD Bag Apple Samsung 1TB PCIe SSD's."

I was curious if anyone else has done this and encountered problems?

My concern is why these are only available on eBay and not in the market? Am I missing something here? Are these "new drives" actually pulled from other MBP's.

Thanks!

2. stempsons macrumors regular

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Yes, they're pulled from other Macs.

This is because nobody makes 3rd party PCIe SSD uogrades for the Haswell Macs. Parts pulled from other Macs are the only options.

4. jfriedman8 thread starter macrumors 6502

So there is a 0% chance these are actually new then?

I am somewhat ok with that.

Assuming there was nothing damaged on the drive, is the only risk I am inheriting how many read/write cycles on the SSD then?

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Worrying about read/write cycles isn't worthwhile.

Apple use MLC-based SSDs, and we all know that MLC lasts really long.

TechReport did an SSD endurance test and discovered that the MLC cells in a 256GB 840 Pro lasted past 2 petabytes of write cycles (and it's still going).

Under regular workloads, your computer would die before the SSD died. And a 1TB SSD will also last way longer than a 256GB SSD, because smaller SSDs endure more full write cycles.
    http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes

Edit: They all died at the 2.5 petabyte mark. http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

6. Antairez macrumors regular

Antairez

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

There is no way to buy one without having it pulled from another machine.

9. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

they have sold 79 of them .. i doubt it would be a scam and have sold so many

10. Antairez macrumors regular

Antairez

The only possible reason that I could think of is that the seller is somewhat affiliated with Samsung, that explains why you can only find the parts on ebay -- the seller probably wanted to stay low profile.

In Asia you find this a lot on ebay, many employees who have direct access to the product lines sometimes just give the extra stock to some ebayers to make some quick money. This is definitely against the company policy but if you stay low profile your contractor usually don't care.

79 sold doesn't necessarily mean anything, used SSD can be cleaned and resealed easily and the buyer would have no ways to tell.

Unless the seller can explain his source I doubt we would come to any decisive conclusion.

11. jfriedman8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so lets say that it does come from another machine. I know it is compatible with the machine I am using it in.

Is there really anything to worry about at this point then?

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Nope. Just make sure you reformat the entire SSD and do a clean install of OS X before restoring a Time Machine backup of your current SSD.

13. jfriedman8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I have one on the way. I will keep you posted and add pictures as well when I receive.

14. Sanlitun macrumors 6502

Sanlitun

I bought one of these and have it in a Mac Pro, so far so good.

I checked the SMART when I installed it and it showed 12 hours of use. Either this is part of the manufacturing process or it may be a factory second.

When I checked the brand new Macbook Pro we got last week it had a few power on hours on the SSD as well.

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I would appreciate the photos when it arrives. I've been looking into these drives on eBay as well. Please report back after installing to verify everything is working well. I'm curious about it in the MBP specifically versus the Mac Pro.

16. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

how are the speeds on the drive ?

----------

Please let us know when you receive it. I have been interested in purchasing one for awhile now.

17. jfriedman8 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was not home to sign for it today unfortunately, and I will be out of town until next Thursday, so I will hopefully have time to do this next Friday.

How do I do the following for the new drive and the stock drive already in the MBPr?

"I checked the SMART when I installed it and it showed 12 hours of use. Either this is part of the manufacturing process or it may be a factory second."

18. jfriedman8 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll add pictures in the next week or so, but I got the drive, put it in the computer and I am installing OS X now.

First thoughts... No... This is not a brand new drive and must have come from another computer. When I booted it up I forgot to press "option" the first time and it took me to an OS X set up page. When I restarted and held option, it was already named "Macintosh HD"

Where can I find the hours of usage on the drive?

19. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Disk Utility. Select the drive itself and click on Info.

20. jfriedman8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm... not seeing anything about hours there.

21. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Use SMART Utility instead.

Attached Files:

22. jfriedman8 thread starter macrumors 6502

I had 19 hours on mine.

So far so good as I am putting everything on the SSD.

Best speed test to try?

What numbers should I expect to get?

23. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

This is awesome. I always thought these were scams, but I'm glad yours worked. You don't happen to have before and after benchmarks, do you? I'm curious to see if they are just as quick or quicker because you got a larger capacity. Also, is TRIM still enabled?

24. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Has anyone found a good external USB enclosure to put their smaller PCIE SSD into after swapping out with the larger one? I'd like to keep mine as a portable hard drive once I decide to do this.

25. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Blackmagic disk speed test.

You should expect around 900MB/s or more.