Putting 2 SSD's into my Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by steffi, Nov 21, 2010.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

I've got 2 SSD's left over from a G-TECH Mini SSD RAID.

What is the best way to add these to the Mac Pro? I do have 2 drive bays
    open but it makes more sense to use these in a RAID 1 or 0 in one bay.

I know about ICY DOCK MB982SPR-2S as a possible option but what else
    is there? I'm worried the speed won't be that great in the ICY DOCK. Does anybody have any testing to say better?

The two SSDs are 128GB's Samsung's.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Put them in separate slots so they both get their own SATA connection. Having two SSDs in RAID 0 with single SATA 3Gb/s wouldn't take full advantage of the SSDs since SATA 3Gb/s would be the bottleneck

3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

It does affect the performance! There is no way around it, since you can't get force the bandwidth of two SSD's through a single SATA connection.

Anyway, IIRC Honumaui tried this product in his Pro. Maybe he can say something certain about it.

4. brentsg macrumors 68040

Right, I realized that it was a different part than the one with which I'm familiar.. and I deleted my comment seconds after posting it. Not sure how you were able to quote it 6 minutes later.

5. Okay-OK macrumors newbie

hi,

actually as one can see on the product page the mb982spr supports SATA 6 Gb/s - so it is not the adapter that limits the speed but the "surrounding" hardware

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Oh well, in that case the bay might well be a viable option for a RAID 0, requires, however, a 6Gb/s SATA card. The ASUS USB 3.0 has two internal 6Gb/s SATA connectors. I'm not sure if this card works with OS X, though. It doesn't boot OS X, that's for sure.

For a RAID 1, the bay should be fine, I don't see a problem there.