Putting a Bumper over InvisibleShield?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by tekchic, Jun 29, 2010.

1. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Has anyone had any luck putting a bumper over the InvisibleShield screen protector? Both arrived today and I put the bumper on for kicks first and noticed how the edges are slightly sharp and might peel my IS.

I've since taken off the bumper to apply the InvisibleShield successfully, no dust/bubbles. I'm letting it set overnight, but I'm a bit nervous putting the bumper over the top of the IS.

If you've done it, let me know! :)

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

3. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Good to know! I'm working on the same setup. FINALLY I can have the IS and a decent case for my iPhone. With my 3GS I couldn't find a case that would work with the IS on.

4. tekchic thread starter macrumors 65816

tekchic

Excellent post, thanks for the pics! Any tips on getting the bumper on without lifting the edges or is it just pretty easy? I'm letting the IS cure overnight and plan to try the bumper in the morning so it's had 12+ hours to "set".

5. bibbz macrumors regular

bibbz

I also let mine sit over night. It cured a little over 15hours and was fine.

I put mine in bottom first since the bumper stretes at the headphone port. If you have any peels, use your nail and push them back. :)

6. tekchic thread starter macrumors 65816

tekchic

7. robertk328 macrumors regular

robertk328

I put it over a BSE skin (front/back) with no issues. Putting a Belkin Vue on it was a different story.

8. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I'm about to do this as well. Did you also put the bottom of the bumper in first? I really am worried about peeling the edges but sounds like 2 people haven't had any issues.

9. tekchic thread starter macrumors 65816

tekchic

I put mine on this morning (bottom first) and it didn't show any signs of peeling, unlike a lot of other protectors I've used. I'm pleasantly surprised, especially considering the kinda bad reviews InvisibleShield gets.

If I'm holding it in the sun with the screen off, I can see just a little bit of "warbling" of the surface material, but it doesn't look all orange-peel textured. I have no dust and no bubbles at all. With the screen on, I can't see that there's a protector on at all -- that was a nice surprise.

If I can remember tonight, I'll take pics of it with the shield and bumper so you can see what it looks like with screen on vs off. Nice knowing at least I'm not going to scratch my new shiny ;)

10. M1Lance macrumors newbie

I've got the exact same setup and I'm loving it. Wasn't a big fan of the IS on the front so I took it off.

11. robertk328 macrumors regular

robertk328

I just put it on, without paying attention to how, and no problems.

12. Macnificant macrumors 6502a

thanks for the pics

wet or dry install?

do you have it on the front and back?

13. tekchic thread starter macrumors 65816

tekchic

Front and back, no sides. Wet install, but didn't spray the phone. I had several microfiber cloths around and got my fingers and the shield really wet with the spray, shake it out to get the drippies off, and then put it on the iphone quickly, catching drips out the edges with the microfiber cloth.

When putting it on the iPhone, try to gently bend the shield so the middle part touches down first, then let it down to the outsides - don't press down. Slide the shield so it matches all the edges / camera/etc.

Once it was aligned and time to squeegee, whatever direction I was squeegee-ing (weird word) in, I had a cloth on the outside edge to catch any liquid.

Not thrilled with doing a wet install, it wasn't terribly easy, but with some work it does look better than I thought it would. I also let it rest for 12 hours before tinkering with it (did it in the evening so it would be ready by morning).

Main thing is making sure you get every possible piece of dust off of the surface of your phone before applying that wet shield, and before peeling the shield, make sure your fingers are really wet too so you don't fingerprint the underside of it.

14. FieldingMellish Suspended

I learned the hard way not to overwork it. I thought I saw a bubble and went to push it out and instead left a mark on the skin. Then I knew it was time to just give up and let evaporation do its work.

15. Paul S macrumors regular

I guess I'm the only one, but with my BSE (front and back) that I set up 2 days after receiving the iPhone 4, and then barely getting the bumper 2 days ago (meaning it's had about a month to "cure"), I've had the ends start peeling off. When I first put it on, no signs of peeling. Then a day later, I saw the edges starting to come off towards the bottom. The bumper case itself is not super tight, meaning it slides around quite a bit. This is the cause for the peeling. I have since cut away a tiny bit of the screen protector and that should fix it. Not too happy with it, though...

16. Peruvian macrumors regular

Peruvian

Maaaaannnn, I messed up my IS with my bumper... eventually, I had to remove the front piece and just kept the back... But my bumper is not an apple original.. I bought it from ebay, its a snug tight fit....

Is anyone just rocking the bumper without an IS??