Putting a MBP in a case in standby...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bryguy393, Jan 29, 2010.

1. bryguy393 macrumors member

bryguy393

Hey guys, I was wondering if it's safe to put a MBP in a closed sleeve in standby mode. This is the case: http://bbpbags.com/breathe.html

It'll be a new 17" MBP, when apple gets around to releasing them.

I know you can put it in hibernate, but just wondering, like if i'm in a rush or something.

Edit: and then putting the case in a backpack.

Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes it is safe, as during standby (called Sleep in Mac OS X) only the RAM is powered (to store the actual contents of all your open applications and documents) so no moving parts are moving (like the HDD for instance).

Also know that all Intel Macs store the contents of their RAM onto the HDD when they enter Sleep, which will take a while (15-30 seconds, the more RAM the longer it takes), so during that your HDD is still spinning. You will know that the Mac actually sleeps by the pulsing light on the front.

There is also SmartSleep to prevent Mac OS X from doing that, but you can use MRoogle to search for more information.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/ - text
    http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/ - videos
    http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/ - text
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343 - keyboard shortcuts

3. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Yeah, it's fine. I have a 2.4 Alu macbook that sleeps in the booq taipan all the time.

4. bryguy393 thread starter macrumors member

bryguy393

thanks for the speedy replies! why do they even have a hibernate mode anyway? zero power consumption vs. very little?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Hibernation in case of power loss (battery empty and no power adapter to fall back on) offers you to start the Mac like you left it. May be useful.

Also see my first post, as I have updated it a little bit.

6. bryguy393 thread starter macrumors member

bryguy393

thanks alot! i actually read most of those guides a while ago, but i'll be sure to keep them handy when i get the new MBP (please be early february!)

Thanks.

7. bryguy393 thread starter macrumors member

bryguy393

As opposed to making another thread, i suppose i'll continue with this one. Do you take notes in class with your laptop? any suggestions as the best way to do it? At first i thought either make one document for each class and have a big long document of notes, or create a separate document for each note and keep them organized in a folder. Then i found a program called Evernote. its gotten good reviews and looks quite good. anybody tried it out? how do you guys like to take notes?

my current classes BTW are English, Chemistry, Computer Programming and World History.

Thanks for any suggestions.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's no shame to make a new thread about that issue, as it is something completely different from your thread title.

You can use MRoogle (my sig) to search for similar threads, as I remember encountering one or two in the last few months.

English and History would be simple to take notes to via a computer, but I think you may need a special software for chemistry (formulas, molecule drawings and so on) and for programming maybe.

9. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

sorry to thread jack, but i don't wanna start a new one. do MBPs use any noticeable power in sleep? like, if you close the screen in the morning at 90% battery, will it be 89 in the evening, or more like 70-80%? this is one of my favorite things about my iPod touch; i can sleep it for a seemingly indefinite amount of time without worrying about any battery loss.

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The iPod Touch has less RAM than an MBP, thus less power loss.

Under normal circumstances, the MBP's battery looses 1% battery capacity during one hour of sleep.

11. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness