Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IndiaHawker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2019
England
Hi! First off I hope this is the right place, first post and a bit lost haha! I've just bought a great condition secondhand Macbook Pro 2017 with touchbar and I love it. Works really well, love the touchbar, and just a beautiful laptop all over. Only thing that's driving me a little mad is there are a few really tiny little nicks in the metal surrounding the keyboard, one being right on the edge of the touchpad and one being on the speaker area. I'm talking teeny tiny little dots but I have OCD and when it's not focusing on more 'important' things, it tends to hone in on things like this. Not faulting the seller or product in any way, it's exceptionally good condition really and actually looks better than pictured but my brain enjoys driving me mad haha. So what I'm saying is please don't judge I know I'm being petty but I really can't help it!

So I want to get a skin and have been looking online at various options that cover both the metal surrounding the keyboard and the trackpad which is pretty cool. I'd like one partly to hide the barely-visible marks and partly to prevent any future incidents as I use my laptop a lot and don't want it getting damaged! Only thing with them is that they obviously don't cover the speakers and as mentioned one of these nagging little marks is on the speaker. I've come up with two options:

1. Get one of the skins that cover everywhere apart from speakers, use some co-ordinating stickyback plastic to cover just about 5ish mm into the edge of the speaker area. The mark is near the edge and this would hide it however obviously wouldn't prevent future marks. Could it do any harm to the laptop to cover small portions of the speakers? I can't imagine it would affect the sound a great deal but unsure?

2. Get some of that stuff that covers lots of larger speakers (you know, that stuff that's sort of like tights material but not?). Secure it underneath the surrounding skin. I imagine I'd be able to do it relatively neatly plus it would hide any marks including future marks, and protect the speakers from dust and debris. However, could there be any repercussions if I did this - could it affect the laptop at all? Are there any reasons why this idea wouldn't work as I'm hoping?

Any other suggestions appreciated other than not being crazy haha! Please and thank you :D

IndiaHawker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2019
England
If there was a small amount of stickyback stuff covering just a bit of the speakers, would the glue on it melt and seep down into the MacBook and ruin it or would the holes be too small? Please and thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.