Putting a Time Capsule in a Cabinet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cg399, Jul 2, 2013.

1. cg399 macrumors member

cg399

Hi all,

I'm moving into a new apartment and am building a unit in which to put my mac mini and 10 or so external hard drives that I use as a server at home.

Where I currently am, I have something similar, but currently my time capsule is in a different part of the house.

Ideally I want to put the time capsule inside the cabinet too (so that everything looks nice and tidy - my new apartment is a lot smaller than my old one). I want ensure that the cabinet doesn't destroy my wifi range and am wondering what material it would be best to make the cabinet out of.

I'm guess plastic would be fine (since the time capsule itself is made of plastic) but that will look ugly. Metal is going to make a faraday cage which would be a disaster. Any guesses on the effect of wood? Will different types of wood make any difference? Any other suggestions?

Might this work, or do I need to live with the TC sitting on the top of the server cabinet?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

C

P.S. The cabinet will be well ventilated with cooling fans!

2. opinio macrumors 65816

3. cg399 thread starter macrumors member

cg399

RTFM - Why didn't I think of that... (maybe I get complacent because Apple products "just work)! :D

Thank you for responding - that answered my questions!

C

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Putting a radio base station (TC, extreme, express) will reduce the signal strength of wit transmission from the base station....and reduce the signal levels of transmissions to the base station. The question is....is it enough to matter. Be prepared to move the TC out of the cabinet for max wifi performance.

5. Ifti macrumors 68000

My AEBS, and my coming TC, is in a wooden cabinet - I have no problems with wifi etc whatsoever.