putting Amazon-downloaded DVD's onto my iPod?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by evillageprowler, Jan 6, 2008.

1. evillageprowler macrumors regular

Hi,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but I am thinking of purchasing a DVD through Amazon's download service. Amazon's FAQ says that this service is not compatible with Mac/iPod.

Does anyone know the real details behind this service? For example, if I buy the download and it stores the file as a 'wmv' file type, then I can easily convert it to a format that I can then watch with iTunes, quicktime and on my IPT.

(I'd want the source resolution to be at least 640x480.)

But, if the file/format type is too esoteric and proprietary, then I probably won't be able to convert it.

Anyone here know the technical details relevent to what I want to do?

TIA,

EVP

2. thinkband macrumors regular

I do not have any technical details and I know little about Amazon's service, but I can inform you of personal experience. I had several movies in wmv that were fairly small. On my PC with fairly good specs (Dell 3.2ghz 2g ram) this process took several hours to convert from this file to an ipod friendly file. When all was done, I got the video to work without sound.

Now, I am not sure if it is just me, but this task is not as easy as pushing buttons. If you are very good with computers then you could probably figure it out with a little patience.