Putting back original components when sending to Apple for repair?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zeus86, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Zeus86 macrumors member

I am sending my Macbook Pro to Apple for repair and I wanted to know should I put back my original hd and ram?

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

in my experience, they give you back your hd and ram if you upgraded. But, there is no guarantee on that and no way to prove that you had upgraded components in there if they replace it with the original spec stuff.

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

If you have the original, I would. If they lose or break it you have no recourse. It's not worth the hassle.

4. Zeus86 thread starter macrumors member

I also have Lion GM installed as my OS. Could that be a problem?

5. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

There was a thread some time ago about a guy who got his laptop returned to him with stock specs after he sent it for repairs. After some not so fun back and forth, he finally got his hardware back, but the lesson learned was to not send it in with upgraded gear.

Swim at your own risk.

6. bluesteel macrumors 6502

i've always sent my macs in for repair just the way they are, upgrades and all, and have never got macs back with any problems. if your at the genius bar, they usually write down a few notes about your computer while they are creating the work order. all you have to do is tell them to make note of your upgrades so it reflects in the paperwork they give you before you leave them with the computer. if your setting up a repair over the phone, just let them know you upgraded your memory and hard drive and to make a note of it. if you get the computer back with anything less then you gave them, then at least it was noted in the paperwork and they'll resolve the situation quickly. its really that easy.