Putting DVDs on my Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jkramb, Jul 29, 2008.

1. jkramb macrumors member

I'm going to be getting a MBP with a 200 gb 7200 rpm HD. I am about to move to Europe for 6 months and would like to put my seasons of Seinfeld on my computer so I don't have to carry a bunch of DVDs to Europe (I can't go six months with out seinfeld. sad ,i know). How much hard drive space would a 6 or 7 hour season of seinfeld take up. Is there a standard ratio of hours of DVD video to GBs? Any ins and outs to loading DVDs to a hard drive that I should know. I'm totally new to this and have never used handbreak before.

2. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

A lot really depends on what quality/resolution you use to encode them. I would say, do one dvd and experiment with quality/size. and then do the rest. Or you could decide how much space u are willing to use. then use the setting in handbrake to limit each encode proportionally.

as u said u have never used handbrake, this guide might help, though its for encoding for ipod videos..it should help with the basics. http://guides.macrumors.com/Ripping_a_DVD_to_an_iPod_Video

3. toma98101 macrumors newbie

Ripping DVDs

Mac the Ripper (just Google for URL) is what you need. Totally quick and painless, and it removes all sort of silly DRM, region coding, etc. (Assuming, of course, that you own these DVDs and it's for personal use, of course....)

Most movies have taken between 4 and 7 GB each, but it's every bit of useful data that's on the DVD, no more, no less.