Putting files onto a Coolpix camera

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lostngone, Mar 17, 2009.

1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I want to update my Nikon Coolpix P6000 firmware.

All I need to do is copy the firmware file to the memory card but I don't have card reader.

Is there a program/driver that will allow me to mount or copy a file to the memory card with the camera plugged directly into the computer?

2. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

While not answering your question, I'd suggest going ahead and ordering a card reader. Not only will it allow you to update your firmware whenever needed it will also allow you to download your cards faster without using your camera's battery.

Here is a good reference for the fastest SDHC readers:
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/reader_report_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9438

If money is an issue there are many really cheap ones out there that will do the job:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6858

3. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I do own a card reader reader, just not at my current location.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Do you have a USB cable to attach your camera to your computer? You could always mount the camera as a disk and copy the file to the card that way. Otherwise I'd say you're SOL until you get a card reader or a cable.

5. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I do hve the cable and i can download pictures with iPhoto with no problem but I can get the memory card to mount like a disk. Any ideas???

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

Looking at Nikon's site, it doesn't seem capable of being mounted as a drive with the USB cable, sorry. I was under the impression that, like my Kodak and Windows, you were able to do that easily with OS X. I haven't yet tried connecting my camera with my Mac so I was unaware there may be issues. Unfortunately you'll need a card reader. It might also be a good idea to keep it with your camera for the future. Sorry I couldn't help you further.