Putting Firewire drives to sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kanunu, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Kanunu macrumors 6502

I have two GoFlex NTFS drives daisy-chained on Firewire 800 bases on an iMac 11,3 (intel) running OS X 10.6.8. I use the version of NTFS for Mac supplied with the drives.

I notice that if I put the computer in sleep mode using the menu that the drives turn off as I expect them to. If I let the Energy Saver in System Preferences put the computer to sleep, the drives keep running which I do not want.

Is this a problem unique to GoFlex NTFS or is it a problem with the OS?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It isn't unique to NFTS drives. I have a FireWire one that spins down by itself. The computer is a 2006 Mac Mini running 10.6.8.

A warning, the built in Mac OS X 10.6 NFTS read/write driver is very buggy and can corrupt disks and render then unusable until reformatted. The read only driver is not affected by these corruption problems.

3. Kanunu thread starter macrumors 6502

Your drive?

For clarification is your Firewire drive in Apple format? Can you distinguish if it turns off or not in each of the two ways of putting the Mac to sleep?

I get read only status if I plug in a NTFS drive that is not Seagate. I think the version of NTSF for Mac that came with the GoFlex drives is tweaked to only work on their drives.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

My FireWire drive is MBR partition style with NTFS as the format. It sleeps when the computer is idle, if I click the Sleep option, or turn off the computer.

I thought that you where using Snow Leopard's own NTFS read/write driver.

5. Kanunu thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you try this?

Can you try setting your Power Saver option in System Preferences so that the drive sleeps that way and let me know if the drive turns off when the computer sleeps that way. The setting can go down to 1 minute. I would appreciate the try.

I have another drive coming in the mail and I think I may experiment (before I fill it up) with the Apple format to see if it turns off consistently with that format. I generally want to stick with NTSF so I can move the drive to my girlfriend's PC when needed.

I guess the software overrides the Snow Leopard driver.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Its already setup to do that, but the time is 20 minuets. It sleeps without a problem.

7. Kanunu thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help.

I guess the problem must be on the Seagate side and not the OS-X. I think I may send them an inquiry message on the Seagate support page. For now I will just try to send my unit to sleep manually.