Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
I searched around for an answer to this, and couldn't find anything, so I'm asking the group... I have my energy saver preferences to turn off my iMac display after 5 minutes. So, it dims after 1 minute, then the display turns off. Perfect. However - there's a lot of times where I finish what I'm doing and want the display to go into sleep mode (not the computer - just the display to turn off) right away, and not wait the 5 minutes (to save power and backlight time). Anyone know of a way to do this, either in OS X, or using a 3rd party utility? Thanks!

Kinkade

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2007
California
With 10.5 you can set one of the active screen corners to turn off the display. Just move the mouse to the specified corner and it turns off.

I don't know off a solution for older versions of OS X.

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
With 10.5 you can set one of the active screen corners to turn off the display. Just move the mouse to the specified corner and it turns off.

I don't know off a solution for older versions of OS X.

Thanks! That was easy.

teiresias

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
What would be most helpful would be a firmware upgrade to the iPhone and the iPods that will allow it to talk to the iMac to let it know that they're still actively charging their batteries and not to put the actual computer to sleep. The device (iPod, iPhone) can then indicate when it has completed charging and the iMac can go to sleep - and perhaps even shut off the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.