Putting in a new HD: How should I swap the data?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 2A Batterie, Jan 5, 2009.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I'm taking out the 160gb 5400rpm drive in my 2.4ghz MB and replacing it with a 320gb 7200rpm drive. Obviously, I'm going to need to clone the original 160gb HD onto the 320gb before I do the swap. I don't have an external enclosure to put the 320gb drive in for the cloning process, so can someone recommend one? Also, will I have any problems, irregularities or major differences in my new drive if I use Super Duper to clone?

2. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

No.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I would recommend the Macally PHR-S250CC for the enclosure. It features both USB2 and FW400. Obviously, it can be powered via the FW bus, or you can use the included USB power cable when using it as a USB drive. Very solid, but pricey (~$35) compared to the crappy (IMHO) $10 enclosures.

As for the second question (about Super Duper), I've never had any problems using SD. Works great and I recommend it.

Good Luck ... but with the MB, it's so easy to swap HDDs that luck is not needed.

ft

4. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

That's actually the exact enclosure I was considering.

Any thoughts on this for RAM?

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

It's probably OK, but I'm a paranoid when it comes to RAM. I like to buy from Crucial, but you have to catch them when they have good prices. But that's just me.

ft

6. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I've always gone Crucial, but I was checking out something different in hopes of saving. It's actually cheaper at Crucial now!