Putting lion on flash drive/ Mac app store authentication????

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by backinblack875, Jul 20, 2011.

1. backinblack875 macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

So i know you can put lion on a flash drive, and i wish to do so i don't have to re-download on each mac.

My question is that after i have done so, and try putting it on other macs, will it still be like other apps bought through the mac app store...Will i need to sign into the itunes store account that purchased lion to verify it and get updates later on?? or will that process be eliminated because i put it on a flash drive?

thanks

ALSO: i am going to download it now, but dont have a flash drive ready at the moment, can i save the required file on my comp until i get it??? thanks

2. torana355 macrumors 68020

Installing from the DMG file on a USB drive actually skips the authentication process. I think most people are waiting to see if Lion will update properly when installed this way.

3. backinblack875 thread starter macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

ah, good question.

also just to make sure, the USB flash drive will work the same way as if you downloaded it from the MAS right?? It will just upgrade from snow leopard with everything the same (files and apps etc. all still on the mac) but just with lion on it instead of snow leopard??

4. torana355 macrumors 68020

Correct, the advantage is you have the choice to boot up from the usb stick and use disk utility to format your hdd and do a fresh install. If you just want to upgrade from the USB drive you still boot up from the usb stick but you just select the install option.