Putting Lion OX on more than one computer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by loby, Jul 12, 2011.

1. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Since the Lion OX can "only" be downloaded from the Apple App store, will we have to purchase more than one software download at $29.99 if we have more than one Apple computer?

Seems there are more than just economic reasons why we have to download the software from Apple instead of purchasing a disk. I am not into sharing the software with my friends, but I have a Mac Mini and a MacBook Air and I am hoping to be able to download the software and install it on both systems with the one purchase cost...

Any thoughts?

2. marksandvig macrumors regular

So far it seems it's unlimited as long as the same Apple ID is used. Although Im not sure how it works for families like mine with 4 computers and different Apple ID's. Brothers/Sisters, etc.

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

You're each going to have to purchase 4 different accounts. It's going to register the computers as 4 different users; if they weren't all in the same house, there would be no connection between them.

4. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

Oh yes a couple of thoughts:

My first thought is that apple let you use the same account on mulitple computers to install an app in more than one location and there is every indication that this will continue for operating systems

My next thought is that you've always been supposed to buy either a "family pack" or multiple copies of Mac OSX to install it on more than one machine that you own, so that even if they were making you pay "per machine" then they would be doing no more than enforcing what you were already supposed to be doing, so you would have very few grounds for complaint.

5. mahood macrumors member

Not necessarily - you can get them to set up an account for you on their Mac, make sure it's an admin. Then you log in as you, sign into the Mac App store and it should let you install Lion there. I believe there's a 5 computer limit, and I don't know what will happen with updates, but you might need to sign in each time?

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think they said a limit of 5 computers. The only thing that I haven't seen clarified from Apple is if you have to redownload it to every computer from the Internet or if you can create your own instal media to do it.

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

From what I have heard, you can download the OS and then right click to show package contents. Inside is a .dmg that you can then burn to a DVD.

8. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

at 36 minutes in the keynote speak during the 2011 WWDC it was said $29.99 for all authorized macs.

9. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I just asked a genius at the store and she said you can use one account to buy OSX Lion and install it on 5 different machines... yay!
    (though she also said she wasn't sure until it is released)