Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XiL Puscifer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Georgia
i've got 2 emachine notebooks,each has problematic windows xp operating systems.I want to know if anyone can tell me if the emachines can be completely erased and mac os x or leopard can be installed ?

karenflower

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2007
If you don't want to use Windows, then Linux is a good (and free, legal) option. Ubuntu is a very popular version.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
windows is built to run on multiple hardware and is buggy, imagine what osx is like on non-supported hardware, its only designed for use on a mac, people can get it up and working on other hardware (illegally) but its for hackers that like sitting up all night trying to get a wireless card recognized and rewriting software updates so they don't crash a system, not for every day use. you could go with linux but without much experience it can be a bit hard at first (sourcing drivers etc).

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
Apple doesn't allow you to, and unless you're trying to put it on a hackintosh (a PC you specifically built to run OS X) then it probably won't run.

I second the suggestion for Linux. Ubuntu is a great distro. Depending on your hardware, it may take a little trouble to get set up, but once you have it working, it's quite a bit easier than in the old days of Linux. At least as easy as Windows, at least, and will make your machines perform a lot better. Give yourself a good day with nothing else to do, and install Ubuntu on them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.