putting mac osx on a windows computer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by XiL Puscifer, Apr 5, 2008.

1. XiL Puscifer macrumors newbie

i've got 2 emachine notebooks,each has problematic windows xp operating systems.I want to know if anyone can tell me if the emachines can be completely erased and mac os x or leopard can be installed ?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its against the license agreement when you purchase OSX to put it in any other hardware ither than Apple hardware. If you must google osx86 or insanelymac.

3. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

If you don't want to use Windows, then Linux is a good (and free, legal) option. Ubuntu is a very popular version.

4. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

windows is built to run on multiple hardware and is buggy, imagine what osx is like on non-supported hardware, its only designed for use on a mac, people can get it up and working on other hardware (illegally) but its for hackers that like sitting up all night trying to get a wireless card recognized and rewriting software updates so they don't crash a system, not for every day use. you could go with linux but without much experience it can be a bit hard at first (sourcing drivers etc).

5. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Apple doesn't allow you to, and unless you're trying to put it on a hackintosh (a PC you specifically built to run OS X) then it probably won't run.

I second the suggestion for Linux. Ubuntu is a great distro. Depending on your hardware, it may take a little trouble to get set up, but once you have it working, it's quite a bit easier than in the old days of Linux. At least as easy as Windows, at least, and will make your machines perform a lot better. Give yourself a good day with nothing else to do, and install Ubuntu on them.

6. XiL Puscifer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I appreciate the responses to my question.thanks.

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

If you can, I recommend waiting 18 days until Ubuntu is updated, to save future hassle.