Putting movies on your Iphone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jayrezzy, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Jayrezzy macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, just wanted to drop by real quick and ask you all how do you put movies on your Iphone 3G? Do you have to buy the movies off of Itunes or can you D/L the ones you already have onto your phone. I have google searched this/Youtube searched but just cant find anything that helps me out. If someone could explain how to do this, it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. ich1ban macrumors regular

ich1ban

This is what I do

I rip my movies using Handbrake, then I will convert them to m4v format using Toast or Visual Hub.

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Handbrake has an iPhone preset. What do you use Toast and Visual Hub for?

4. candyman macrumors regular

Ditto, Handbrake is the way to go. It's a one stop shop that is very easy. I have used it to put two movies on my iPhone so far.

5. DigMe macrumors 6502

Handbrake + something to bypass copy protection (such as AnyDVD) is all you need.

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

You need both (not saying it's OK to bypass copy protection) those applications is few and far between. Our IronMan dvd ripped just fine with just handbrake using the iPod HiRez and it was sync'd to my iPhone and iPod (I default iPod Hi-Rez cuz our movies are mainly put on our iPod)

7. SAIRUS macrumors 6502a

Wait how do you not find out how to do anything on google? I learned how to rip movies by using it. Been using Videora and its been great.

Actually someone should sticky something about this, as it does get asked quite a bit (don't whine that its illegal, if you own the dvd/blu ray you should be able to have a copy of it, let alone some come with digital copies).

8. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

9. ich1ban macrumors regular

ich1ban

Lol cool. I didn't know that and I admit I don't use Handbrake that much.

10. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I use PSP Video 9 from Red Kawa and it has worked really well for me. Pretty fast too...

11. iblastoff macrumors 6502

i dont even bother converting movies/tv shows now. i just use orb live + voipover3g to get my entire library on my computer to stream to the iphone anywhere i want. works perfectly.

12. markgamber macrumors 6502

That's exactly what I'm about to do. Glad to hear it actually works. It's been a whole different phone since Orb was released.

13. George Carlin macrumors regular

George Carlin

Handbrake is the one stop shop for DVD to iPhone transfers. I have loaded 40 movies so far into iTunes and select and sync what I want when I want. Great quality and super easy to use.

14. Jayrezzy thread starter macrumors newbie

I just got done ripping a dvd and it only shows up on itunes for only 18 mins for the whole movie. I made sure that it shows on handbrake for chapters 1 through 36 and the duration time shows for over an hour. What did I do wrong?

15. Shimfs macrumors newbie

handbrake is slow :/

hi folks
    I have just downloaded handbrake. However for some odd reason it will only convert with 6 frames per second :/ it is a 2 hour long movie on a retail DVD. And it is using a 2.4ghz dual core processor. Does anyone have a solution?

16. room237 macrumors 6502

I use handbrake and it works very well. It does take a long time, though. Chapters can be confusing, but I have only run into issues when converting a DVD that I have already ripped onto my hard drive. If I convert directly from the DVD it seems to work fine.

Anyone have any tips on how to convert MOV, AVI, windows media files to iPhone?

17. Shimfs macrumors newbie

iso and vob

the program only takes .ISO and .vob files as far as I know. Is 6 hours normal for a movie?

18. George Carlin macrumors regular

George Carlin

On average Handbrake cooks at 50 fps so an average movie of 90 minutes should be done in 45 minutes. I haven't had any problem with slow or incomplete transfer after 50 movies. You do have to use the setting for iPhone/IPod but the program does all the rest.