putting multiple movies onto a dvd

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dazed, Oct 5, 2010.

1. dazed macrumors 6502a

Hi,

If i wanted to put several movies onto a dvd, what video format do they have to be in ?

Is idvd ok for this task or would i be best getting something like toast ?

Thanks

2. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

How are you planning on playing these movies back? If it's on a DVD player, some DVD players have decoders so you can put .avi files in there and still play back. If it's on a computer, you can also put .avi files on that disk seeing as you can just download decoders as you need them. If it's on a DVD player that can only read DVD type files, I believe iDVD can turn the videos into DVD format.

3. dazed thread starter macrumors 6502a

it will be on a dvd player. i'd like to make it so that any player will play it. (so no divx etc)

Thanks

4. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

You can use iDVD to make a DVD of .avi files or any other movie file. Just create a new project and then import your files. You can make it all fancy and put chapters in it and everything. You don't really need to buy Toast to do what you need to do.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you mean "90 minute movies", then only one movie will have enough space on one Single Layer (SL) DVD with 4.7GB capacity, as video DVDs use MPEG-2 as a codec to encode the video. MPEG-2 is quite old and is not as efficient as MPEG-4 codec variants like H264, Divx and Xvid, thus a 90 minute film using an MPEG-4 codec and taking up less than 1GB will take up at least 4GB on a video DVD if you want proper image quality.

Burn and Toast Titanium offer video DVD burning.

6. dazed thread starter macrumors 6502a

It will be used for playing in the car so i dont mind loosing some quality since they are for the kids and will be played on a little 8" screen.

I'd need to play with the resolution to find the right balance beween size and quality