Putting old contact information onto the new iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rfong06, Jul 11, 2008.

1. rfong06 macrumors member

The guy said to put all my contact numbers onto my sim card so when it transfer over to my iphone it'll have it... But my contact number from the sim card from the razor is not showing up in my contact information on my iphone. Is there a way I'm suppose to do it? :confused:

2. rayward macrumors 65816

I'm guessing "the guy" was at an AT&T store. Bottom line: this is wrong.

You cannot transfer contacts on your SIM card because you cannot use your old SIM card in an iPhone. Your iPhone will accept contacts from your address book on your PC/Mac, or from certain online services like Yahoo or Gmail.

If you have a way of managing your contacts on your old phone on your computer (most phones give you a proprietary app for this), you might be able to transfer them to a Mac, PC or online address book, and thence onto your iPhone. If not, you can at least copy and paste them individually to a compatible address book. Because you keep your old SIM in your Razor, you will still have all the contacts on there.

3. rfong06 thread starter macrumors member

4. rayward macrumors 65816

The only good news is that this was always going to be the case. The fact that the AT&T guy was an idiot has not hurt you at all (unless this was a deal-breaker).

5. Medic macrumors member

Import SIM contacts not working?!

When I go to Settings, then Mail Contact Calendars, Import SIM contacts, with the SIM card from my old phone (blackberry pearl) nothing happens...How can I get all my numbers (litterally hundreds!) into my new iphone 3G????!!!! I wanna make a call!!!:eek:

HELP!!!

6. snowgibbon macrumors newbie