Putting Password on my wireless network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacHappytjg, Jul 23, 2008.

1. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Since i dont have a password on my network i want to put one on since my mom is paranoid someone might be outside of our house doing bad things on it or like well who knows (old people for ya well the ones who came from the 70s and 80s) anyways how can i do this on my macbook using mac of course since i dont have the cd and well have no pcs...?

2. ryand3093 macrumors newbie

go to www.ipchicken.com and copy and paster your ip in the address bar then enter your username and pass for your router (usually Admin and password..you can call the company who made your router for the default password and username). After you are in click on the tab that says wireless and choose wep encryption. I recommend 128 bit but use w\e you want. Just enter your password and done.:) You have to do it on her computer though whether it is mac or pc it is all the same.

Remember don't post your ip here

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You should set your router up with WPA2, make the password something with letters and numbers. Your mom isn't paranoid she is right that you should have a password. If you do anything important online I think you're stupid not to have your network protected.

4. ryand3093 macrumors newbie

Unless your neighbors know how to obtain you ip and brute force her computer then really all your the "bad things" that are happening is free internet but i doubt there is anyone else connecting because it is not going to go that far. :p Like couldn't connect from NJ to Winniepeg on my cpu let alone if i was in Morden

5. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

i did before but things got really f'ed up and yea it kept on disconnecting and everything so can i get rid of it and make a new one and sadly do not know my ip maybe gotta ask my bro but like is there a way from my mac? and before when i made a password i only could get crappy wep which can be cracked in seconds whhooot anywhos ya.... ?

But yea i guess she has a point im the only one on the block without one ill get that ip chicken stuff and make a wep.

6. ryand3093 macrumors newbie

ipchicken.com will tell you your ip in big blue letters

7. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

ip chicken gives me an ip from Edmonton and im in Winnipeg and i know thats not my ip since it doesnt work when i put it in the top bar its from edmonton and i know the last numbers of my ip. All of them are giving me the same one or there off by a number or somthing...