Putting Public Library e-books on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by achtungfemme, Aug 11, 2010.

1. achtungfemme macrumors member

Hello,

Is it possible to put public library e-books on the iphone? For instance, the New York Public Library has an extensive collection of e-books that you can borrow for particular readers such as the B&N Nook or the Sony e-reader. They download onto the device's library on your computer and expire after about 7 days.

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to get these e-books onto the iphone to read them. Has anyone been successful with this?

I am thinking one way would be to download the Barnes and Noble ereader app, tell the public library that I have a Nook, and have it download that "e-library" on my computer, then sync it with the B&N app on the iphone...

Don't know if this will work. Has anyone else tried this??

Thanks!

2. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

I have used e-books from the library at the University where I work. However, because of the digital rights managment along with the expiration date, not all of them would work with iPods and/or iTunes. Many of the e-books that had time limits only worked in Windows Media Player, because you could then just download a plug-in if you renewed the book.

I think since it is a newer technology that not all libraries support all of the different MP3 players out there. I would check directly with the library and see if they support Apple players. Like I said about our library, they specifically stated not all of their e-books were supported in Apple formats. It is worth a try to see what they can do, and since borrowing the books is free, it isn't like it will cost you anything except time. Good luck and let us know how it works.

3. TangoDown macrumors regular

*if* you can import it into Calibre, I believe you can strip any DRM and export as epub which will then drag and drop into iBooks.