Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

korimickster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
Apple has pissed me off so bad.

Have any of you tried to put RAM in your Macbook Pro? It is f*****g IMPOSSIBLE. The microscopic screws holding the cover in place are completely stripped and now there is no possible way for me to put in my brand new 1GB stick of RAM.

I have never been this upset with Apple. Ever.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
If you stripped the screws, it's because you used the wrong screwdriver.

Take your MacBook to a local Apple shop. They should be able to drill out the screws and replace the panel.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
yeah - I think this actually your fault, not Apple's. How about renaming the thread "This screwdriver has pissed me off so bad!" :p

smokeyboi

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2006
hey, the same exact thing happened to me and I used the proper #00 phillips screwdriver! the screws on my MBP were so tight...I tried so hard to take the middle screw out that it ended up being worn out.

here's the thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/187535/

iphil suggested that I take my MBP to an apple genius...I took his advice and voila...problem solved!

korimickster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
ChrisBrightwell said:
If you stripped the screws, it's because you used the wrong screwdriver.

Actually, no. Apple suggested a #00 Phillips screwdriver so I ran up to the store to buy one. The exact kind they said to use.

Paragon

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2006
Don't some Apple Resellers (etc.) install RAM (etc.) for you?

I would have thought that that would be the safer option, as that way, you have some form of cover :rolleyes:

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I almost did on mine. I used the correct size screwdriver. I did notice that Apple had used a dab of glue on the screws. Apple's way of saying buy our ridiculously overpriced Korean ram or ruin your macbook.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
If you have a razor blade with a tip (exacto knife) you can try using that to unscrew the stuck screws, that tip has helped me out of many stripped screw situations.

SpAtZ

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
NY
I had no problems with it. I got the screwdriver that the manual said to use and it was 10x easier than changing the ibooks RAM.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Whistleway said:
How nice of you all to ignore the issue at hand and say go to the store. bravo !
What, exactly, do you think the issue at hand is?

The OP has stripped screws. The only way to fix that without endangering your warranty is to consult with an Apple Store or an authorized Repair centre. Which is just what the first reply said and which smokeyboi confirmed worked for him.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
korimickster said:
Apple has pissed me off so bad.

Have any of you tried to put RAM in your Macbook Pro? It is f*****g IMPOSSIBLE. The microscopic screws holding the cover in place are completely stripped and now there is no possible way for me to put in my brand new 1GB stick of RAM.

I have never been this upset with Apple. Ever.

I work at an educational reseller, and part of my job is putting extra RAM in customer's laptops. I have done about 5 so far, with no problem at all. It is the same procedure as upgrading a PowerBook 17".

You need the right tools to do the job properly. A professional can remove the stripped screws for you.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Maybe it's good that they're putting their screws in tighter now, what with all the missing and loosened screws in iBooks and Powerbooks. :)

skillz1318

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2006
i was unable to unscrew mine with the tip of my swiss army knife...not hard at all...i guess yours could have been tighter though

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
I know exactly what you mean. I don't even want to attempt adding a RAM stick after what happend with my iBook. They screw the screws in so tight it's nearly impossible to get them out with a screwdriver. I too went and bought the same screwdriver they recommended and still had an issue.

I used a really really small/thin flathead to pull out the screws.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
For my Macs (see sigs), I did RAM upgrade with #0 screw driver (one of those PC tool kit you can buy at Staples and other office supply stores). I have not even stripped the screws though. The trick is to use the high quality one (the kit cost at least $20) and put in the screw driver firmly onto the screw and turn couter-clockwise. I don't think Apple is doing something different on screws for Mac Book Pro from what they did with PC and iBook (if they did, I would be disappointed as they could have spend that R&D money on more meaningful features).

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Memory is a customer self upgrade so the stripped screws should be fixed by Apple gratis.

When I called Applecare because I was scared out of my mind at the thought, the horror, of upgrading memory on my old Tibook 400, still under warranty at the time of the phone call, I broke off the internal plastic holders out of sheer fright and amatuerishness.

Apple kindly replaced the whole logic board for me, because they could not repair the little plastic memory holders, and it was a customer serviable part or upgrade, or some such language.

I think they will help you out here.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
ChrisBrightwell said:
Then you fail at using a screwdriver.

BURN! haha, yeah I gotta agree, if you can't operate a screw driver this is hardly apples fault, I understand your frustrated but your blame is misplaced.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Yes, I put 2 2GB sticks of RAM in my MBP. Very easy if you use common sense and recognize you need a eyeglass/jeweler's screwdriver (available at any drugstore) to get the job done. It took me all of 3 minutes to remove the cover, remove the old RAM, insert the new RAM, and reattach the cover. Not sure at all why you are crying here, or why you are blaming Apple, but I now realize why they use to use torx screws. You act like it's brain surgery. Don't blame Apple. Look inward.

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
I took less than a minute to do the ram upgrade on mine. Can't say the screws were a problem.

Can't blaim apple for putting screws in firmly...

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
Chupa Chupa said:
Yes, I put 2 2GB sticks of RAM in my MBP. Very easy if you use common sense and recognize you need a eyeglass/jeweler's screwdriver (available at any drugstore) to get the job done. It took me all of 3 minutes to remove the cover, remove the old RAM, insert the new RAM, and reattach the cover. Not sure at all why you are crying here, or why you are blaming Apple, but I now realize why they use to use torx screws. You act like it's brain surgery. Don't blame Apple. Look inward.

I wouldn't jump all over him...some machines have tighter screws than others. Just because yours weren't tight, doesn't mean that his aren't either. When I got my iBook (3 years ago), I had a hell of a time getting one of the screws out. I have the right tools, but because the screw was so tight, and the handle of the #0 screw drivers are so thin, there was no good way of getting enough torque to turn the screw. There wasn't any glue or anything making it stick either. In the end I found that putting a lot of pressure on the screw (more than seemed safe) and twisting it made it come loose.

That said, you usually can't damage the head to the point where it will be unusable with 1 turn...if it starts to show a bit of damage, stop and re-asses the situation. You may just have to swallow your pride and get a shop to take them out.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
skillz1318 said:
i was unable to unscrew mine with the tip of my swiss army knife...not hard at all...i guess yours could have been tighter though

yeah, same, that's always what i use for small screws and it hasn't failed yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.