Putting ripped movies on an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by stanw, Aug 6, 2015.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

I want to use makemkv and handbrake to rip some movies to watch on a plane. Over never transferred movies to an iPad. Will the iPad accept a ripped/converted movie? How do I get it from my Mac to the iPad?

Thanks.

2. theusualsuspect macrumors member

It's pretty easy. Once you have an iPad compatible file you drag that file into iTunes (hold the option button while you do it if you don't want to copy the file), go to the iPad, and select the movies tab and click "sync movies". Done!

3. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! What do you mean by holding option if you don't want to copy the file? Do you mean holding option will copy the movie straight to the iPad without copying it to iTunes?

Thanks.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

No. By default iTunes copies the movie into your iTunes Media folder, thus leaving you two copies; the original (wherever it was) and a new copy in the Media folder.

Holding down option tells iTunes to move the original into the Media folder instead of copying it.

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

It'd be even easier if you didn't have to use iTunes at all.

6. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Unless you have a method that works, then who cares?

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

Lots of Android users, apparently. I see your point though, and I will refrain from further comment on the matter in this thread, since it isn't helpful.

8. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

If you want an alternative, look at the likes of the nPlayer app. That can play back a variety of formats so not bound to iTunes formats. You can drag and drop to the iPad via iTunes without the need to add to iTunes itself or you can share a folder on your computer and connect to that share directly using nPlayer and download the files you want - completely bypassing iTunes.

9. sparksd macrumors 6502a

Exactly - there are alternatives. I use the Infuse app in much the same way.

10. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

11. limatime42 macrumors member

limatime42

I use AVPlayerHD. Plays any format I've thrown at it. Drag and drop files thru iTunes

12. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

I thought that ripping the files to the iPad preset in Handbrake, importing to iTunes, then syncing to your iPad will both optimize battery life and storage space. I mean I presume using a third party iPad app to play a 720p mkv file, for instance, will degrade your battery life faster.

13. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

I use a Mac app called Waltr, it converts most formats on the fly to iPad, into the stock Videos app, no need for iTunes.

14. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

So you paid $50 to avoid a) burning via Handbrake, b) importing to iTunes for the synced transfer, and c) deleting the copied files from your computer. Not sure if its worth it.

15. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

No. Can't remember what it cost but it certainly wasn't $50. I think it was on special and quite cheap. Worth it, it' such quicker.

16. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just tried this by dragging a bunch of files while holding option and they were copied or moved though they seem to have been copied because they are still in my original folder on my desktop????

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you held the option key, then iTunes should use the files at wherever their original location was instead of making a duplicate copy of the file in the iTunes folder.

If you can find the files in iTunes, right-click and view the file info. Should point to the original folder on your desktop.

18. anthony11 macrumors 6502

There's a preferences option to set this permanently if desired.

I find it more expedient to set manual syncing of music and videos, and just drag them when desired onto the device within iTunes. Wish I could do that with photos, as iTunes' photo syncing is pathetic.

19. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I misunderstood what holding option would do while dragging.

After the files are synched to the iPad, what happens if you move or delete the files on the Mac?

anthony11, I just tried to synch photos on the iPad via iTunes and I can't even find the tab or options to do so! How do you do it?

20. kevroc macrumors 6502

If you delete them from iTunes they are still on your iPad as orphan files.

I find it best to use nPlayer (you can use finger swipes to increase/decrease brightness, volume and seek in the video). It shows up in the apps list in iTunes so you copy the files from your folder directly into the app bypassing the need to store them in iTunes as well.