Putting SSD into new MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimbo1mcm, May 5, 2011.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

I removed my Samsung 470 SSD from an HP laptop that had Win 7 running. Trim was enabled automatically with Win 7. When I put it into my new Macbook Pro trim was not enabled. You can check by going into the Apple, then About, then More Info and finally into Serial ATA. When you scroll down you will see that trim is not enabled.( Without it, the SSD will fill up and slow down. Google it and see what it does). Groths.org had a Trim Enabler patch that worked perfectly. I downloaded it and clicked on it and it installed. When I went back into the Apple, etc I found that trim had been enabled. Kudos to Oskar. I dropped a couple of bucks on him from Paypal because I appreciate this kind of work. Maybe Apple will have trim enabled in the next OS, like Win7.

2. lavrishevo, May 5, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011

lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

OSX is not affected the same way without trim. It may slightly improve overall performance but because the whole file structure is different TRIM is not nearly as essential on OSX. In fact, forum members have reported problems with SSD's after enabling TRIM.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/apple/2010/07/01/mac-ssd-performance-trim-in-osx/7

3. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

trim is only supported on SSD's that you buy from apple, and only recently.

As the other poster said, there haven't been problems with people running 3rd party SSD's w/o trim enabled. In fact some users have reported problems with their drives after enabling trim support.

If you really feel you must have it, search the boards, there is a tutorial here on how to enable it through some simple command lines.

4. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe SSD's with the Sandforce controller such as the Vertex 3 don't need TRIM as the controller takes care of this function.

5. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

yeah that's what i have heard as well...

to be honest i wouldn't even really worry about it... i don't think it's going to drastically kill the performance of your ssd and require replacement after a year. By the time your ssd does end up failing, whether you have trim enabled or not, ssd's will likely have come down in price A LOT, and you will want to upgrade to a bigger one anyways.

just my .02 but i know all the worry warts will insist they need trim... i guess do whatever makes you feel comfortable.