Putting stuff on Mac to Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Tim117, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Tim117 macrumors regular

I have stuff on the Mac half of my computer that I want to put on the Windows half of my computer. How do I do that? I know how to put stuff from the windows half to my mac half but how do I do it the other way?

2. nigrunze macrumors regular

I'll assume you're using Boot Camp. First thing to check is whether your Windows partition is FAT32 or NTFS. From your description it seems very likely that it's NTFS. Just incase you don't know how to check the file system, right click the drive in Windows then click "Properties" and it should say NTFS or FAT32. To check from Mac OS X, right click the Windows drive and choose "Get Info". It'll either say MS-DOS partition(might say FAT32 after MS-DOS) or NTFS.

Mac OS X can read NTFS partitions but now write to it.

If your Windows partition is NTFS, you can use a USB flash drive or an external hard drive to transfer your files between OSes, but the file system on the USB stick/external hard drive must be FAT32(Mac OS X calls it MS-DOS). You can format a USB stick in either Mac OS X using Disk Utility or in Windows using the format utility by right clicking your drive and selecting "Format". If you have an external hard drive, you'd likely have a drive larger than 32GB which means you can only format it in Mac OS X using Disk Utility.

Once you've done that, you can transfer files between OSes. The only limitation is that FAT32 partitions cannot have single files on it larger than 4GB. But it's not very common to have a file larger than 4GB.