Putting the harddisk into another macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chameleon81, May 28, 2009.

1. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have an aluminium macbook. I plan to buy a plastic one with student promotion and sell the aluminum back in my country and get some 300-400 dollars extra money. My only problem is that I dont want to install everything again.

If I swap the harddisks will I be able to access my old data / programs on the new Macbook?

Thank you

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes.

You can even start you OS off that other disk.

3. chameleon81 thread starter macrumors 6502

This is exactly what I want. But I' m kind of scared. I dont want to mess up everything. I have the backup of my data (movies pictures etc ) but I dont know how it works when it comes to programs.

What you are saying is that I take a harddisk from an old machine , put it into the new one and start using the new one as it was the old one :)

4. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

why don't you just start up the new MB (plastic) and then transfer all of your information with migration assistant? I just did it when I switched from a 17" MBP to 15 uMBP.

5. chameleon81 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice. I want to take the 320 GB 7200 rpm harddisk from Alu mac and put it in the WhiteMacbook and put the new 160 into the Alu Macbook.

6. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

outside of your system profiler potentially being incorrect, then you would have no problem just taking the two drives out and swapping them. Because I want everything to be right inline like its supposed to be I would boot up the white machine and copy everything from the alubook to it with the migration assistant on the initial setup and then use carbon copy cloner to copy the white disk's files back to the HDD in the alubook, then physically swap the two. That's a long walk about, but the software will do it all if you just let it sit... no physical inserting of disks and reinstalling anything. Again, this is what I would do.