Putting together a Final Cut Studio studio

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by treehorn, Aug 30, 2007.

1. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

Well, this is your lucky day. I'm giving in, facing reality, and upgrading from an iMac to mac pro

...which of course means that in a month or two the new and improved Mac Pros will be coming out (that's my lot in life). But unfortunately my IMac (pre intel) is giving out all sorts of signals that it isn't long for this world. And I have a lot of work I need to do (most of which the IMac can't do too well anyway), so I'm giving in and buying my big-boy computer now, instead of waiting for possible updates.

So...would love input on some things to get. Basically, I work in all aspects of Final Cut Studio (except Color at this point...still mustering up the time to learn that new skillset). Lots of FCP work and Motion work (to create B-Rolls and demo reels). And lots of DVD Studio Pro work as well. No gaming, minimal Photoshop work. I've been doing most of my work at my boss's studio, and since he has more whistles and bells (and wires) than I need equipment-wise, need some advice on what I should get for my 'home office' (where i'm finding I'm doing more and more work...)

Right now leaning towards ordering the following from the Apple Store:

Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    1GB (2 x 512MB) memory
    500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI)
    One 16x SuperDrive
    Both Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and AirPort Extreme
    AppleCare

I'll get an additional 3GB of memory elsewhere.

I'm not sure what monitor to get. Part of me says get the 24" Apple Cinema Display, as that's what I'm used to at work. Part of me says it ain't worth the extra $$$$.

I'm wanting to use my monitor as a TV as well, so that I can invest more money in it, instead of getting an additional LCD TV for my home office (for those rare times I can relax and kick back), so looking for options (say one of the EyeTV products? Looking for something to hook up a cable box to my computer or monitor, HDTV if possible).

Also looking for suggestions for options for hooking up to speakers (audio reference).

Many thanks!

2. fisha macrumors regular

If you got something like a dell 2407WFP, then it'll take more than just a plain DVI input like the Apple one.

The Dell has a composite / component input too, which you could run from your cable box if it had composite / component out ??? ( not sure about 1080p, but mine does 720p from the xbox360 with no fuss atall )

Oh - and also has picture in picture which i've used a number of times, playing a DVD on the xbox whilst working on the machine.

3. treehorn thread starter macrumors 6502

treehorn

OOh...that's a thought that hadn't crossed my mind. Get a monitor that can double as a TV with it's inputs, rather than figure out how to make the computer run like a TV.

Yeah, cable boxes (at least the ones here) have composite outs, which give a nice HDTV picture...

Many thanks!