Putting user directory on 2nd internal drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by netdog, Jan 8, 2008.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

How do I do it?

Do I have to do it on my initial setup or can I setup my computer with the included 320GB and move the user directory when I get another drive? I'd rather mail order a drive, but could pick one up tomorrow.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

In Leopard:

System Prefs->Accounts

Ctrl+Click on Account Name, select Advanced Options.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

4. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

Are you comfortable using the terminal and UNIX commands?

Then it's a piece of cake. When you get the new drive copy over your home directory to the new drive wherever you want to put it. Then rename your home directory on the old drive to something like home_backup, then create a soft link with the same name as your original home directory and make it point to the directory on the new drive.

In fact, you can do this in Finder w/o ever opening up a terminal.

Or you could just edit the /etc/passwd file to reflect your new home directories location. But in case anything else in the system explicitly references your original home directory path, you'll need to do it the first way.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you would do nothing of the sort!

as yeroen said you can do this pretty easily with unix commands in the terminal using these instructions if your comfortable with this kinda stuff. i have done this and its not really that hard. these instructions move the whole users folder and consequently and all other users including your home folder with it.

but if you only want to move your home folder do what swiftaw suggested. then make sure to create an alias of your home folder on the main disk and then reboot.

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Guy Guy Guys your making this much to hard on yourself. Drag the folders over to copy them then Go into system preferences then advanced then change the location of the home folder. Log out, log in. Then delete the old ones after u check to make sure its all working. Then you even get the HD on the desktop to get the little house icon. :p This is what i have done.

Of coarse thats in leopard if you don't have leopard its in open direction(i think thats what they called it)