Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Free Ale

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Hey guys,
I made the transfer to the RMBP and I love it. I didn't really think about using bootcamp to add Windows 7, but I could get windows 7 professional or ultimate for free. (My girlfriends college gives various free software)

First, what exactly is the difference in windows 7 pro and ultimate?

Second, if I downloaded the file would it be a Mac readable .iso? Then, I would have to put it onto a usb, but how big would it have to be? Finally, just follow the rules inside the bootcamp app.

If I missed anything, please tell me. Thank you.

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
Ultimate allows you to change the operating system's default language.

For most practical purposes, Home Premium will suffice and is a lot cheaper to boot.

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
You can start here to figure out which version you would prefer. :)

I don't bootcamp. I run Fusion (Parallels works well too. My school offers Parallels for free, but I needed Fusion to set up Visual Studio and SQL Server.)

With Fusion or Parallels, you can connect the image to the virtual machine and install from there, without even having to burn a disc.

Different schools have different ways of installing software, so your experience may be a bit different.

Is there a reason why you want to use bootcamp instead of running Windows in a virtual machine? I hardly ever run Windows, but when I do (and sometimes I have no choice), I run it in Fusion.

gokart mozart

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Is there a reason why you want to use bootcamp instead of running Windows in a virtual machine? I hardly ever run Windows, but when I do (and sometimes I have no choice), I run it in Fusion.

Gaming. Less RAM intensive than running Windows in a virtual machine.;)

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
Gaming. Less RAM intensive than running Windows in a virtual machine.;)
Oh absolutely. :) Both of those don't matter that much to me because I don't game, and I prefer the ability to switch between OS's seamlessly.

He definitely needs to think about why he is going to run Windows so that he will know which version to get and how he needs to install it.

Free Ale

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Oh absolutely. :) Both of those don't matter that much to me because I don't game, and I prefer the ability to switch between OS's seamlessly.

He definitely needs to think about why he is going to run Windows so that he will know which version to get and how he needs to install it.

For gaming primarily.

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I have Windows installed in BootCamp and then run that Installation on Parallels!

I mainly use it to run Console Emulators that are not available / don't work as well on Mac.

You should also look into Crossover / WineSkin / PlayOnMac as Windows alternatives as you may be able to run your games without even needing to install Windows!

Free Ale

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Okay guys,
Thanks for all of the comments. But I am still wondering, if i download the file and it is a .iso, can i just put it onto a flash drive and then be able to install it?

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Okay guys,
Thanks for all of the comments. But I am still wondering, if i download the file and it is a .iso, can i just put it onto a flash drive and then be able to install it?

The Bootcamp Assistant software will take the .iso file and convert it into the format it needs, and write it to a Flash Drive.

Be warned, the flash drive will be formatted before being used by Bootcamp Assistant.

If you are using Parallels or VMWare, you can run the .iso from anywhere.

Free Ale

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
The Bootcamp Assistant software will take the .iso file and convert it into the format it needs, and write it to a Flash Drive.

Be warned, the flash drive will be formatted before being used by Bootcamp Assistant.

If you are using Parallels or VMWare, you can run the .iso from anywhere.
Wait, does the flash drive get reformatted before, or after the process begins. If it gets reformatted after, how does the file stay.. because I mounted it?

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Wait, does the flash drive get reformatted before, or after the process begins. If it gets reformatted after, how does the file stay.. because I mounted it?

1. Save the .iso file somewhere on your Mac (Desktop).
2. Run BootCamp Assistant.
3. Insert the USB Drive you want to use.
4. Point BootCamp Assistant to your .iso file, BootCamp Assistant will then format your USB drive. It will then extract the files it needs from your .iso and write them to the USB Drive.

The .iso will be exactly the same as it was when you started, it will not be altered in anyway, but the necessary files will be written to the USB Stick.

Hope that makes more sense!

Stewart

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008

Software development. Definitely want to do that native, until (and if ever) you're ready to start testing in a vm

OP, it's worth noting that bootcamp will work with upgrades of windows. you don't need to buy a full version

Drask

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2012
1. Save the .iso file somewhere on your Mac (Desktop).
2. Run BootCamp Assistant.
3. Insert the USB Drive you want to use.
4. Point BootCamp Assistant to your .iso file, BootCamp Assistant will then format your USB drive. It will then extract the files it needs from your .iso and write them to the USB Drive.

The .iso will be exactly the same as it was when you started, it will not be altered in anyway, but the necessary files will be written to the USB Stick.

Hope that makes more sense!

Stewart

Do you know how big does the USB drive needs to be?

gokart mozart

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011

Wholeheartedly agree. If he needs Windows to run a RAM intensive application of some sort, I think he's better off with bootcamp. Anything else could probably be handled more conveniently by a virtual machine.

For gaming primarily.

Bootcamp + whichever version of Windows 7 takes up the least amount of drive space. After all, for just gaming you want to live in OSX but play in Win7. This would probably be the pro version, iirc. Home version may be even smaller, but you only listed the pro and ultimate. It has been awhile since I looked at the different versions, but that info is easily found on the web under the system requirements for each version (and I believe someone already posted a relevant link).

Soccer5se

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
South Korea
I've read you can install windows on an external with Parallels 7. I am getting the rMBP with the 256 SSD, so I would like to save as much space as possible.
My question is can I install Windows 7 (Using Parallels 7) now on to an external HDD then use that in my rMBP next week?

Thanks

Rich

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
I've read you can install windows on an external with Parallels 7. I am getting the rMBP with the 256 SSD, so I would like to save as much space as possible.
My question is can I install Windows 7 (Using Parallels 7) now on to an external HDD then use that in my rMBP next week?

Thanks

Rich

You can't boot into windows via USB. However thunderbolt can although it will be expensive.

EDIT:
More info https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1351547/

Last edited:

ACiB708

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2008
Software development. Definitely want to do that native, until (and if ever) you're ready to start testing in a vm

OP, it's worth noting that bootcamp will work with upgrades of windows. you don't need to buy a full version

Definitely want to do sw development natively? I have the base MBPr with 16GB RAM, I run Win7 with Parallels I assigned 8GB of RAM to the virtual machine, and 4 of the 8 "cores" chose the faster virtual machine option and use Windows with Eclipse, and pretty heavy JCreator projects, all while running things like the iOS emulator and sometimes Dreamweaver on the Mac side ALL without any slow down, it runs perfectly. The ONLY reason to use Boot Camp would be not wanting to spend money on Parallels (in which case you can use free VM software such as Oracle's Virtualbox) or doing some pretty heavy Windows-only graphics work, or gaming. You're wrong about your development statement.

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ

Thanks

Rich

Yes, you can run your VM from an external drive. I do it regularly from a USB drive.

Yes, you can install it now. When you want to move it to the new machine, make sure the VM is shutdown, not paused, and it will ask when you start for the first time on the new machine if the VM has been moved or copied.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
Watch out for hibernation. If you want to be able to shut the lid of your windows machine that's another 8 or 16gb. I have an 80 gb boot camp partition with 35 gb free after installing chrome, steam, and MSE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.