Putting Windows 7 to the test.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Pika, May 24, 2009.

1. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

There was a tiny feature on Windows 7 over on Click theother night... for those of us who don't really care and just use a PC for doing the most basic of stuff and for getting files to people it was interesting... not much use but it told you a few things that might interest you if you were thinking about upgrading.

I got a funny error last night while trying to listen to some music in Windows Media Player that I thought some people here might find really funny.

[​IMG]

I love the way they thinks 7 is based on Vista. 7 is a different fork. It's like saying OS X is based on Linux.

2. Frisco macrumors 68020

Windows 7 will be the largest threat to Apple's OS to date. We can all poke fun now, but Windows 7 is the new XP and will be around for a long time.

3. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I'm on the RC 1 right now. It's pretty darned good! Of course, that's partially because it works a lot more like OS X now, but it has really decent features Apple would do well to look at.

Apple needs to sharpen up, looks like MS is back in the game!

4. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I have Windows 7 RC1 on my Acer netbook and it runs very nicely. I would say it is nearly as good as XP on such low end hardware. OS X is still much more Useful though.

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Um, what?

Windows 7 is very close to Vista...just perfected(and people lose their biases against Vista)

Comparing it to OS X being based off Linux couldn't be less true

6. Pika thread starter macrumors 68000

Pika

Win 7 is looking good actually, I was worried at first that it would be another flop, but for a simple Vista upgrade this looks like it has a bright future. I WOULD like a brand new OS, but I'll get this anyways. I tried to download it, but it won't even start.
    My computer is so MEAN.
    So, you people who have used it, is it really any good? I dun't wanna Vista clone.

7. Frisco macrumors 68020

Windows 7 could very well be the death of Apple's Operating Systems. Don't be shocked even Apple knows this--that's why we have Boot Camp.

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

The way to say it correcly is "Mac OS X and Linux are both based on UNIX". The two (Mac OS and Linux) are very closely related but one was not derived from the other. Well OK a bit more nit-picking.. "Mac OS X is Unix". With Leopard "is" is now technically more accurate than "based on". Apple even has a Unix certificate now. Linux is only re-implementation of Unix from the ground up.

With Windows it's different "7" really was derived from Vista. Yes they've made some improvements but and changed the name.

9. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

It's like saying Leopard is based on Tiger.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It'd be more like Snow Leopard is based on Leopard.

Vista feels like 10.4. You get the shiny goodness the really benefits from Quartz Extreme/Core Image and more CPU horsepower. You can run it without it but its painful.

11. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Just downloaded it last night, so I don't have a lot of time on it, haven't tried any heavy lifting, ( Don't have any Windows compatible programs to lift with).

But what little I have done with it seems good. It's quick, though it does take a little longer to boot in Bootcamp than Leopard, but apps launch quick. I have a bug or two, it doesn't seem to like sub optimal wifi signals, but really decent for an RC. The new taskbar is good, like a Dock with Expose Function built in.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

No, its not. Boot Camp came out in early 2006. Windows 7 is supposed to ship late 2009. And when Apple released Boot Camp, Windows 7 was rumored to be even further away.

13. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Here you are correct.

Here I'll pick my nit Linux is a kernel not an operating system it along with OS X use the GNU tools plus user space in Linux's case which is the re-implementation of the UNIX functionality re-written from the ground up to be free from copyright claims of the large companies/organizations that controlled the various Unix flavours at the time.

14. Pika thread starter macrumors 68000

Pika

Oh wait, my information might not be accurate. I recall reading that they were based on different versions of the same code base. I don't know where to look for a confirmation. The Wikipedia article seems to be based off of conjecture:
    I remain unconvinced.

15. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

You could be thinking of Nextstep as opposed to Linux. OS X is, as the Wikipedia article puts it, a "direct descendant" of Nextstep - it was the project Steve Jobs' NeXT company was working on when he returned to Apple. Apple then bought NeXT and used Nextstep as the basis of what became OS X.

16. Pika thread starter macrumors 68000

Pika

I'm talking about Windows 7. I recall reading that it's not based on Vista - that they're based on the same thing, or at least different versions of the same thing.