Putting Windows XP on a new iMac w/o Bootcamp...?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Turnpike, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

Along with gravity defying boots, I'd love to find a way to put the Windows Xp version of Solitaire on a new iMac. :eek: I don't know which is going to be harder....

I want so so so bad to purchase a loved one an iMac. She has limited computer skills, only with XP, and though I've tried to force her to upgrade to something faster (and nicer) several times over the years, the Spider Solitaire game on the newer (first VIsta then Windows 7) have always prevented her from accepting anything different than her original Windows XP computer (imagine how old and fast THAT is...!) Not only for my situation, but in researching this over the years I see numerous people on message boards looking how to put that version of Spider onto newer Windows versions... which seems to be possible.

I want to go one step farther and add it to a working iMac that is all Apple and their OS with only this extra thing on the computer.

Is there ANY way (and I"m talking about paying a developer, app developer, apple guy, buying something, building something, etc...) ANY WAY AT ALL, and at ANY PRICE AT ALL, to make an app or play the exact same Windows XP version of Window's "games" that come factory with the computer on an iMac? WITHOUT RUNNING WINDOWS ON THE COMPUTER. She will learn Mac stuff on a computer IF HER GAMES are the right ones... she almost only uses Spider Solitaire, and it's almost the only thing she uses the computer for all day long...

So imagine the feeling I'd have if I could replace an dusty Windows XP desktop, a 14" screen, a sporatic Staples wireless mouse and a Walmart keyboard and a wired clip on webcam with a grainy picture and a separate speaker apparatus that has to be plugged in and out alternately to make the external speakers work, WITH A NEW IMAC.

Any suggestions or directions for me to start researching would be greatly appreciated.

2. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

No, it is not possible to run the exact game from XP on a Mac.

The closest thing to what you're describing would be a windows xp virtual machine.

3. seble macrumors 6502a

Look up 'wine' that may or may not work for your situation

4. iLondoner macrumors 6502

iLondoner

Buy Parallels Desktop, install Windows XP, and hey presto... Solitaire opens in a window on her Mac desktop.

Hide all the other Windows stuff out of sight.

The Bootcamp alternative won't support Windows XP, only Windows 7.

5. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

6. HenryDJP macrumors 603

There are so many Mac versions of Solitaire on the Mac App Store and most are free. It can't be that the Windows XP version of Solitaire is so great that nothing else can replace it, let alone going as so far as to install XP on a Mac just to play it.