Putting XP on my macbook - questions - Please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -Josh-, Dec 8, 2007.

1. -Josh- macrumors regular

I'm thinking about puting windows XP on my Macbook to play my favorite and only computer game.
    However, I have questions.
    Although I am ONLY on windows to play this game, I'll open internet explorer maybe 10 times ever - should I still buy a virus scan, ect? I'm from the windows world, and I'm use to running everything that involves cleaning up, and protection. I don't know what is advised for XP users.

Also, say I get a big virus, my XP is totalled F'd, can I delete the entire partition in a single click.

Is there anything else I need to know about, or do you have suggestions?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

2. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

Unless you actually intend to *Never* go online (ie disable airport/ don't use network), use an antivirus. AVG is free if you don't want to shell out the money for one (http://free.grisoft.com/).
    And as long as you made the partition in bootcamp (and I assume if not? but I dont see why you wouldnt...), then yes, you can restore back very easily.

3. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

Is AVG good? Is it reliable? and yes, I plan to play online. Does AVG have a firewall?

And so yes? IF I make a partition, I can delete windows off of my computer?

Thanks,

Josh

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

To use Boot Camp, you have to create a Windows partition. If Windows gets completely messed up, yes, you can delete the partition and start over with a single click (well, multiple ones, but a very simple set of ones).

Can't speak to the actual Windows questions, though.

jW

5. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

The free version of AVG doesnt have a firewall....but i use its virus scanner and its pretty good...obviously not as good as a pro program but for what you get for the price (nothing) its fantastic

there are free firewall alternatives too (zonealarm comes to mind)...hmmm brings back the windows days