Putty equivalent for OSX?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Argon21, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Argon21 macrumors member

Hello all Mac users,

I need a software like Putty on Windows, but for OSX. I have a USB-RS232 'dongle' and serial cable I use to access the console on some UNIX servers, but I need a serial terminal software to use it. Is there a good one for OSX?? Putty does this for me on Windows, but not available for Mac I see.

Thanks you all!!

2. tpg macrumors regular

Hi there!

Putty is, I believe, a wrapper around the SSH command line utility. SSH is built in to OS X, so all you need to do is open a terminal and use ssh from their.

To get started, try reading the man page (documentation). Open a terminal, and type "man ssh". Navigate using the arrow keys, and 'q' quits :)

3. Argon21 thread starter macrumors member

Hello, no that is not what I need. I do not need SSH. I need RS232 serial terminal. My devices require 9600 8/N/1 on RS232. Thanks you

4. tpg macrumors regular

A couple of avenues for exploration then:

1) Are there any linux utilities that achieve what you want? If so, you can see if they are available in mac-ports or something similar.

2) Putty might run under WINE? If you can't find any equivalent software, this is pretty much the only option short of virtualising windows/dual booting.

5. Argon21 thread starter macrumors member

6. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

7. dknightd macrumors 6502

I've used zterm for this

http://homepage.mac.com/dalverson/zterm/

used on macbookpro osx10.4, usb serial adapter to talk to various serial console ports. Haven't used it recently, hope it still work in leopard - probably will - if you try it let us know.

8. certsoft macrumors member

certsoft

I bought a copy of "ZOC" from http://www.emtec.com/zoc/

I often have two RS232 ports (using USB dongles) and one telnet session going. I found configuration a bit confusing but once I got it setup it has been working well.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No. Your problem is that this year is 2010 and that RS-232 was developed to connect 100 baud modems to printers. You don't have a lot of choices on the Mac for RS-232 terminal emulators, but you do have good ones. You have already been given a link to EmTec's ZOC. You should also take a look at MacWise.

10. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

I am using ZTerm on Leopard with an USB-serial adapter based on the FTDI chip.
    http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm

Works like a charm.

11. pmhparis macrumors newbie

pmhparis

MrMe's problem is that he's stuck in the Microsoft decade & doesn't know how to function outside of the windows he grew up with....

On OSX we already have a terminal better than Putty: the Terminal app. There is no need for Putty for remote ssh access as we just use the normal ssh command: ssh root@remotemachine. For serial access, just use the screen command and tell it to use your serial and speed (or usb serial device as is almost always the case nowadays with Macs that have no builtin serial devices): screen /dev/tty.usbserial 9600.

I'm posting this in this old thread because it turns up in google searches for "mac serial" to help others avoid installing unneeded software.

12. d.steve macrumors regular

Using 'screen' from Terminal is definitely the fast easy way to go about it per above reply. +1