Putty Knife + Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by geoffreak, Jul 29, 2009.

1. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Apparently I'm not the only person who is going to be using this putty knife for this purpose:
    [​IMG]

And yes, I am buying one of the two in stock :p

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Haha, that's so cool how amazon but those 3 items as frequent bought together. I bought my putty knife at home depot and i just can't wait to do the surgery on the mini.

4. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

that's silly. sharpen the putty knife so you can get it in easier. otherwise it will chew the plastic up a bit.

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

The official Apple Service manual recommends a putty knife for opening it, IIRC.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Is it a bit of a struggle to get the knife in between the metal the cover? If so, I would need to take out my dremel and sand the tip of it a bit.

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

The first time, yes. It takes a little more force then you would expect, but not a whole lot.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No don't. Home Depot or Lowes sells putty knives thin enough. I bought two in the end. One was clearly too thick. I went back and found a thinner one. In the end it worked perfectly. 250 GB 7200 RPM drive + 4GB ram. Smokin'!

9. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

it's a Little tight but putting an edge on it helped quite a bit. a file works fine too it only takes a minute.

10. geoffreak thread starter macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Having a flexible putty knife will ensure that the putty knife is thin enough.

As long as it is flat and won't crush under the pressure needed to open a Mac Mini, any tool will work to open it. On my last Mini, I actually used a pocket knife. It wasn't easy, mind you.

11. gotzero macrumors 68040

That is actually really great. Amazon's algos doing something right...

12. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

yes it will work but it will ding up the case. sharpen it and it is more like using foreplay over rape.

13. G42X500macguy macrumors newbie

Another option

I've had great luck with a Fender Medium 346 pick.

There's also the option of the Hello Kitty picks, too!:p

14. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Haha - that is too funny.

I just picked up a putty knife from Lowes. After watching the YouTube video, I had an idea of the flexibility I needed so I went in person to check the thicknesses and flexibility.

Cheers.

15. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Putty Knife

I actually bought a putty knife that looks the exact same for $3 at a paint store 1 block from my local Apple Store. Apple recommends that you buy their $30 putty knife, but if not, they give you the specs for one to buy in the Mac mini tech manual. And you are supposed to sandpaper file one side of it. Sand Paper $1

16. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

My dad had one thankfully, but the bottom of my mini is kinda scraped. Oh well, definitely worth the 4GB RAM + 320 HD.

17. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I used a cheese slicer when opening mine, worked fine, it was thinner than my penknife blade.

18. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

I've used a pocketknife and a butter knife. You really can't go wrong unless you buy a tool especially for opening you mini.

19. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I find it's hilarious how they're bundling this. If only Apple would take the hint. Anyway I'm about to embark on a journey such as this one, nervously I might add.

20. geoffreak thread starter macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I'll just add to this thread saying I got that putty knife and upgraded my Mini's HDD last night. I can actually do more than one thing at a time now!:D

21. Shawn F. macrumors newbie

People that buy the Apple tool just don't know or realize they can buy a cheap $4 putty knife. :p Geoffreak, what did you upgrade your HDD to and where did you get it? Even though I am on a Mac Mini with the small 1.42 GHz I plan to buy the 2GHz one soon and would like to up grade to 4GB of memory and update the HDD to something a little more and quicker if possible.

22. geoffreak thread starter macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I got a new 500GB WD Scorpio Blue for my MBP and placed the old 320GB WD Scorpio Black that was in my MBP in my Mini. Both drives came from NewEgg.

The Mac Mini's stock HDD is horribly slow. I had the slowest of them all, the 160GB. The 320GB will be faster, but you might as well stick in a good aftermarket drive.

You really don't need 4GB RAM in a Mac Mini. 2GB is more than sufficient for most all tasks.

23. ag55 macrumors regular

Nice, im going to be adding 4gb ram and a 30gb ssd to the mini when it arrives - super nervous but the owc videos seem reassuring.

24. geoffreak thread starter macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I used the OWC video when I upgraded. As long as you have the right tools, only the original prying is difficult.
    I think an SSD is overkill for a Mac Mini though...

25. brentsg macrumors 68040

I sanded an old credit card down to have a sharp edge. Then I could easily slide the putty knife in beside it without needing to sharpen it.

Then I did the rinse/repeat on the other side. I just felt better about sticking sharp plastic in there than sharp metal. :)