Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrock2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2008
PA
Anyone with 2.0 firmware if there is going to be an ssh client that could be installed on the ipod touch

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Im 99.999996% sure there wont be

I'm 99.999996% sure you have no idea what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

There's no reason why an SSH client wouldn't be allowed. CLIENT. Not server. This is like the VNC client, which is allowed.

I don't know how many times I'm going to need to explain this... There will be one in the AppStore, it's only a matter of time. :rolleyes:

TemeculaMac

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007

There's no reason why an SSH client wouldn't be allowed. CLIENT. Not server. This is like the VNC client, which is allowed.

I don't know how many times I'm going to need to explain this... There will be one in the AppStore, it's only a matter of time. :rolleyes:

I completely agree with "The General". I've noticed a lot of people commenting on an ssh app, when they clearly have no idea the difference between a client and server app. I can't see why the iPhone wouldn't have one...since my Treo and Blackberry did.

Hopefully we'll get something soon...since a client is really needed for unix admins. I, for one, would use it quite a bit!!!

jwflutterby

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
I will wait. I think that is such an important app to a unix/linux admin.

I agree!! I grabbed the VNC app so I can at least connect to my work PC and get to my systems through there but it can be a bit tough to navigate and it is way more than I need.. If I could just open a telnet-type app it would be a lot less hassle and a lot less data traffic so much faster...

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV

Im 99.999996% sure by a Putty app i thought he meant an app to SSH into your iPhone and switch stuff around like the putty app allows you to do now on a jailborken iPhone and im pretty sure Apple would not allow that. I apologize omnipotent general for my misunderstanding

jwflutterby

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Im 99.999996% sure by a Putty app i thought he meant an app to SSH into your iPhone and switch stuff around like the putty app allows you to do now on a jailborken iPhone and im pretty sure Apple would not allow that. I apologize omnipotent general for my misunderstanding

I would have thought the fact that he specified an ssh CLIENT would clear this up for you but I guess not... I too am looking for an ssh CLIENT (or even just plain telnet) and in every thread I read where someone is asking for the same thing there is always one person that has to come in right away and say there is no way Apple would ever allow such a thing... It has become very annoying!

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Apple would not allow that. I apologize omnipotent general for my misunderstanding

all the app has to do is block local access.

remote ssh access is what most real users (it, web devs etc) want.

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
I thought thats what a CLIENT was, thats what putty does anyway, im sorry im not up to date on all the different SSH terms and whatnot, my bad everyone jeez

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I thought thats what a CLIENT was, thats what putty does anyway, im sorry im not up to date on all the different SSH terms and whatnot, my bad everyone jeez

If you're not up to date on what SSH is, then why are you commenting on whether or not Apple would allow it in the AppStore? And not only that, but using percentage rhetoric implying that you know for sure it won't happen and that you know what you're talking about?

God, you people need to get out of these threads already. Every time someone asks about an SSH client, some know-it-all who knows absolutely nothing comes waltzing in saying "OMGZ THEY WILL NOT ALLOW THAT" thinking that since they freaking ZiPhone'd their stupid iPhone they automatically know everything there is to know about SSH and how it works and what it is.

It's so annoying.

Apple would allow an SSH client.

Apple would NOT allow an SSH server.

jwflutterby

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008

Just so you know before you head over to any VNC threads or anything, client and server are pretty common technical terms that apply to a lot more than just ssh... I can honestly understand how someone that did not do much with servers would not understand the difference so I am really not trying to talk down to you or anything right now... I just wanted to warn you this is not the only place you will see this terminology...

So don't post unless you understand what you are talking about!!! (ok sorry, my helpful side just wore off ;) )

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
There's no reason why even an ssh server should not be allowed, according to SDK rules, as long as it doesn't read or write outside of its allowed sandbox, or call any other executables.

A dedicated ssh server built into an app to upload it's sandbox contents to an ssh client securely would be perfectly legal and useful IMHO.

Any app which tries to mess around outside its sandbox would likely run afoul of the SDK rules, whether an ssh server, or a tip calculator. Nothing to do with ssh itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.