Putty?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Aramyth, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Aramyth macrumors newbie

2. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Terminal is all you need.

Applications->Utilities->Terminal

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Theoretically, you can download the putty source code and build in on your Mac, but if you're "using putty to learn unix" ... well OS X is unix, so anything you learn in class you can do directly in Terminal.

If you need to remotely access other unix machines for your class, you can just use ssh from Terminal. putty is just a front end to ssh.

4. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I was a long term PuTTY user when I was a Windows user. Now I use iTerm instead on the Mac. The big reason for using it over Terminal is that iTerm automatically posts selected text to the clipboard. This makes cut/paste much easier. Terminal will only post the selected text to the clipboard if you specifically tell it to via right click menu or keystrokes.

5. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Just type ssh in the terminal and it will do basically the same.

6. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

There is a version of puTTy for the Mac, because I have it. I just don't know where I found it. It runs using X11, which I hate, and the only way to launch it is to open the Terminal and type in 'putty'.

7. Aramyth thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I connect to my school's server with terminal? Like if you connect using the address and then log in with my ID and PW.

Can I do that?

8. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Sure you can. First you have to find out what protocol you are supposed to use.
    You find this on the first page of the Putty configuration, below the hostname.

If it is Telnet, your command line would look like this:
    telnet username@server

If it is SSH, your command line would look like this:
    ssh username@server

Server can be either an IP-Address or DNS-name of the machine you are connecting to. If the connection is established you will be asked to supply your username. In case of SSH you will also likely be asked to accept the Host-Key of the server.

9. Aramyth thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured it out. Thanks! :)