Puzzle: Closing macbook pro makes fans go high

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bytter, Jun 10, 2011.

1. bytter macrumors newbie

Greetings,

Recently I opened my Core 2 Duo (early 2008) 15" Macbook Pro to change my hard-drive. After closing it, the fans went crazy; after 1 minute of use they reach 6000 RPMs and never go down.

I've tried clearing PRAM, and SMC. Nothing.

I opened the laptop, disconnected the PRAM battery, waited, connected, back to January 2001... 2 minutes later: 6000 RPMs. Manual spray of air throughout the board... 6000 RPMs.

Then I turned the laptop on without the cover... 2000 RPMs... Connected the cover: 2500 RPMs... Closed the cover: 6000 RPMs. Opened the cover: 2500 RPMs.

Temperatures are normal. Highest is Airport: 43ºC. Lowest is Enclosure Base: 29ºC.

Any ideas of what is going on??? I thought on a short-circuit of some electrical component on the logic board by the top case, but using a sheet of paper before closing it results in the same.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with fan issues. Resetting it will not help. Try resetting the SMC again, as that is the only thing that will address this issue. If that doesn't work, you may have a hardware issue that requires taking it to Apple.