Puzzled by flash player

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kenglade, Feb 26, 2009.

1. kenglade macrumors 6502

Can someone please offer some advice on flash player? Lately, I have been hitting a lot of sites that won't let me proceed because I allegedly have an outdated version of flash player. I have downloaded and installed FP 10 on the Mac HD but for some reason the installation isn't registering on the sites. I'm running OSX 10.5 on a Power Mac. and my browser is FF 3.0.6. Many thanks.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Are they legitimate sites? Asking you to install a plug-in is a classic method on malicious web sites to infect your computer.

3. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

Puzzled by flash player

No, these are reputable sites. One that comes immediately to mind is a nationally known manufacturer of photographic accessories. I think it was Optech/USA (I've been searching for accessories for a new camera I have ordered). I'll pay more attention to the individual sites and come back with a specific list, but I don't think that is the problem. I'm more concerned about the apparent non-recognition of FP 10. I'm a new Mac user (two months) so I'm a little confused. I've had no problem going to the same sites on my PC (Win XP).

4. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I tried with FF 3.0.6, and once I allowed JavaScript for the site it came up fine. Have you tried with Safari? That may help figure out if it's a browser issue or a plug-in issue. Also, what kind of plug-ins (if any) do you have installed? You can also try starting FF in safe mode, which temporarily disable add-ons and such for that session to see if it makes a difference.

Starting Firefox in safe mode: Open Terminal and enter the following command.
    Code:
    /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox -safe-mode

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I've seen sites refuse the Linux FlashPlayer 10 indicating I have an outdated version and then work fine with FP 9.x or 8.x on Linux. I don't know if the same thing could be happening here?