Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Everything is working great so far. Again, this is on a 3G AT&T jailbroken 2.0.1 :D

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 72
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 46

mistertomlinson

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
I followed the tutorial here using Pwnage 2.0.2 and the 2.0.1 firmware which can be found in user/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates. Be sure you have "iPhone1,2_2.0.1_5B108_Restore.ipsw" and not the older 2.0 firmware. If you don't have 2.0.1 yet, click restore and when the download begins, unplug your phone so it cannot restore your phone. Instead, the 2.0.1 firmware will be downloaded to the folder mentioned above.

So, DO NOT download either files (Pwnage or the firmware restore file) linked on that page. They are the older versions. I followed that tutorial with my 3G iPhone using the 2.0.1 firmware found on my Mac and Pwnage 2.0.2 found in this thread, NOT on that page. After restoring to the custom firmware, I chose to backup from a previous iPhone and I can confirm EVERYTHING works perfectly. I have a perfect signal... AT&T and WiFi. Both Cydia and Installer are completely functional... my Apple apps are installed... my notes were backed up. Everything works perfectly.

knome

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2006
I followed the tutorial here using Pwnage 2.0.2 and the 2.0.1 firmware which can be found in user/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates. Be sure you have "iPhone1,2_2.0.1_5B108_Restore.ipsw" and not the older 2.0 firmware. If you don't have 2.0.1 yet, click restore and when the download begins, unplug your phone so it cannot restore your phone. Instead, the 2.0.1 firmware will be downloaded to the folder mentioned above.

So, DO NOT download either files (Pwnage or the firmware restore file) linked on that page. They are the older versions. I followed that tutorial with my 3G iPhone using the 2.0.1 firmware found on my Mac and Pwnage 2.0.2 found in this thread, NOT on that page. After restoring to the custom firmware, I chose to backup from a previous iPhone and I can confirm EVERYTHING works perfectly. I have a perfect signal... AT&T and WiFi. Both Cydia and Installer are completely functional... my Apple apps are installed... my notes were backed up. Everything works perfectly.

Or when you plug in the phone you can just select download only. :)

thirdeyeopen666

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Hmmm, not good so far. Restore went fine, phone boots fine... but Cydia (which worked great under 2.0) just crashes instantly and Installer (expecting it to as its beta) crashes quite a bit too.

mistertomlinson

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Anyone having trouble, try the tutorial I linked above... it worked for me on my first try. I followed everything to a T (using Pwnage 2.0.2 and the 2.0.1 restore file instead, of course) and had no trouble with my iPhone 3G.

knome

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2006
I installed and everything works fine but now when i connect to itunes it always wants to set the damn thing up as a new phone even if i've already restored from an old backup. WTF.

CausticSaint

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
3G Baseband?

I didn't see any mention of this on the Dev Team blog, so I'll ask here:

Does anybody know if using this tool leaves the stock 3G baseband intact?

I know they'd said there would be a way to preserve the original baseband, to make unlocking easier when/if that ability is added to Pwnage Tool, but there's been no word yet on whether or not it's left along with Pwnage Tool 2.0.2.

For those who've done the jailbreak on a 3G phone, when you check your Modem Firmware (Settings>General>About), what does it say? My 3G is still stock and reads 01.45.00.

transam7816

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2008
I didn't see any mention of this on the Dev Team blog, so I'll ask here:

Does anybody know if using this tool leaves the stock 3G baseband intact?

I know they'd said there would be a way to preserve the original baseband, to make unlocking easier when/if that ability is added to Pwnage Tool, but there's been no word yet on whether or not it's left along with Pwnage Tool 2.0.2.

For those who've done the jailbreak on a 3G phone, when you check your Modem Firmware (Settings>General>About), what does it say? My 3G is still stock and reads 01.45.00.

i did the jailbreak on my 3g through the simple version and my modem firmware is the same as yours, 01.45.00

danpat

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2007
For those that have experienced Cydia problems (crashing on launch) I can confirm the Zippyshare DL works. (http://www4.zippyshare.com/v/73243631/file.html)

Not sure why, but after trying several builds in Simple and Expert mode with the Rapidshare DL, Cydia wouldn't work. Just finished the process with the Zippyshare version and it works fine (this time I just went straight for simple mode).
Also, I noticed that iTunes doesn't like restore from backup for some reason, getting into a cycle of prompting for backup state, restoring, rebooting, and asking for backup state again. Choose setup new iphone and you'll get through fine.

Edit: Also, after all this my SMS's and camera roll remained as they were on previous Pwnage 2.0.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Anyone able to find 3proxy in Cydia? I am trying to enable tethering but for some reason I can not find 3proxy.

GNice

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Looks like I have to go to plan b as well...Cydia doesn't work and no signal after first try either. This is my first jailbreak attempt...we'll see how the next try goes.

mratlantis

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2006
working!

like a dream......
and it does seem to clean up some of those earlier problems on first appearances

GNice

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Sorry if this is a noob question, but I'm on my 4th attempt. I've tried expert and simple and each time I launch Cydia it immediately crashes and takes me back to the home screen. Is there a way to install Cydia w/out having to go through the whole jailbreak process from beginning to end. This is my 1st jailbreak attempt so any insight would be greatly appreciated. Seems there is little point of doing this if Cydia doesn't work. *sigh*

EDIT: I found the following URL. Yes it's for 1.1.4 but...guess I can try to install it manually...(what a difficult journey). http://www.hackthatphone.com/114/iphone_cydia.html

EDIT2: The above didn't work either . I get a message "Unable to decode package more info at http://cydia.saurik.com/apptapp".

EDIT3: I have it working!!! The problem was I was using Unarchiver to unpack the .tbz file...using the command line was the trick for me.

thirdeyeopen666

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
For those that have experienced Cydia problems (crashing on launch) I can confirm the Zippyshare DL works. (http://www4.zippyshare.com/v/73243631/file.html)

Not sure why, but after trying several builds in Simple and Expert mode with the Rapidshare DL, Cydia wouldn't work. Just finished the process with the Zippyshare version and it works fine (this time I just went straight for simple mode).
Also, I noticed that iTunes doesn't like restore from backup for some reason, getting into a cycle of prompting for backup state, restoring, rebooting, and asking for backup state again. Choose setup new iphone and you'll get through fine.

Edit: Also, after all this my SMS's and camera roll remained as they were on previous Pwnage 2.0.

I'll second that that particular link solved my issues. I'd tried the zippyshare links from iphwn.org and they gave me the Cydia problems. I'm thinking maybe there are multiple zippyshare links. This one definitely fixed my issues with Cydia.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Anyone tethering on 2.0.1 yet? This really was the main purpose I wanted to jailbreak since I missed Netshare on the App store. I am trying to follow the turtorial on cre.ations.net but one of key elements, a program called 3proxy, is not available to download via Cydia anymore... So if anyone has any insight please let me know.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
If your suffering from bugs and unstable apps try rebooting your phone first!

If that fails I suggest the easiest solution is build a new custom firmware and restore again (rather than messing with permissions etc...)!

Dakotafan

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
does this work for windows? I have a JB 2.0 w/ Cydia and I'm wondering if all I need to do is the entire process again - backup again->build custom firmware->load cust firmware....not sure if this works for windows or not - thought winpwn was for windows and pwnage tool for mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.