Pwnage 2.0 Edge on 2G iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by igw, Jul 20, 2008.

1. igw macrumors member

I need to disable EDGE on the pwned 2G iPhone. I do not have a data plan and it is using EDGE. On 1.1.4 it said I was not subscribed, now it uses it. Im with Fido and do not want data.

2. AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

Settings -> General -> Network -> Cellular Data Network. Now edit the APN, username and/or password and it won't be able to connect for EDGE.

Regards, Alec

3. igw thread starter macrumors member

Under network I do not see Cellular Network Data

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

You need to edit your carrier.plist...I'll find the instructions for you and it'll show back up again.

5. murc585 macrumors regular

Do we have to ssh to the iphone to do this? I had to buy a data plan last night because of this.

6. igw thread starter macrumors member

7. AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

Patience...

The carrier.plist file your phone is using at the moment does not allow the editing of the APN. Making it allow you to edit it is requires a quick edit of the carrier.plist file. You are going to need to JailBreak the iPhone, install OpenSSH via Cydia and then copy off, edit and copy back on a configuration file in order to either (a) allow you to edit the APN on the phone or (b) change the APN details via the editing of the file you copied off/on or another similar edit. I am sure Warbrain will be back soon with full instructions.

Alec

8. igw thread starter macrumors member

So I installed OpenSSH but how do I enable the Cellular Menu.

9. rioja macrumors regular

I just did this for Rogers and it worked. No more EDGE. I tested it by turning off wifi and trying weather, stocks and safari. It won't connect with EDGE anymore.

Copied the instructions below another forum, with some changes for accuracy. As stated earlier, make sure you have SSH installed from Cydia and you can use an SFTP program (I used Cyberduck) to connect to the iPhone.

1) Activate open SSH and connect to your iPhone
    2) Go to /system/library/Carrier Bundles/*your Carrier*.bundle/
    3) download carrier.plist to your Desktop and rename it to oldcarrier.plist (just for backup)
    4) download the file again and open it with "Property List Editor" (part of the Developer Tools. Get it from your OSX Install DVD)
    5) Click "File->Save as" and save it as "XML Property List File" to your Desktop
    6) Open the file with TextEdit
    7) Add the following lines:
    Code:
    <key>AllowEDGEEditing</key>
    <true/>

just below
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> 
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> 
    <plist version="1.0"> 
    <dict>

at the top of the plist file.
    8) Save it
    9) Upload and replace the modified carrier.plist to the directory, from where we got it.
    10) Restart your iPhone

Go to Settings->General->Network->Cellular Data Network on your iPhone. You'll see the APN settings. Tap APN and the keyboard pops up. I simply deleted the APN line (made in blank).

... and your done!

10. igw thread starter macrumors member

how do i connect using cyberduck to the iphone.

11. rioja macrumors regular

1. go to Settings->Wi-Fi and tap the circled blue arrow next to the wifi network your connected to. Write down the IP Address

2. open Cyberduck and press "Open Connection". Make sure the Protocol is SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol)

3. Enter the IP Address in the "Server" field, root in "Username" and alpine in "Password" fields. Then press Connect

12. VenomousSVT macrumors 6502

you could always just install the services app and and disable edge with that.

13. rioja macrumors regular

On 2.0? I don't think so

14. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It doesn't exist for 2.0 yet.

15. VenomousSVT macrumors 6502

OIC, i wasnt sure if they had a compatible version yet.

16. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401