Pwnage a Touch on a Mac to be used on Windows

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by yearoftherat, Sep 18, 2008.

1. yearoftherat macrumors newbie

Did a search but couldn't find an answer so here's my question:

If I was to Pwnage an iPod Touch on my Mac, install mobileinstallation, install some apps, will Windows recognize the Touch ?
    Or will Windows ask to restore the ipod to a Windows format and therefore will not work?

thx

2. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

yes, it will work perfectly fine(sync and everything)

3. yearoftherat thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought at one time you couldn't use a iPod that was set up on a Mac on a Windows machine due to difference in file structure.

4. qacjared macrumors regular

yes but that was like what 4 years ago?(You could use a WinPod on a mac tho).In the beginning iPod Classics were Mac add-ons that wereformatted in HFS+ (The same as any Mac OS X system) Then windows iPod came around and were formatted in FAT32 (same as either other USB mass storage devices like flashdrives, external hard drives, etc). I believe with the 4th generation iPod or even either they just formatted all iPods as FAT32 since OS X can read that too(which I assume would save them money in making one kind of iPod).

Now on a Touch you do not have direct access to the filesystem so it does matter. I believe all the data is handled by the iPhone OS. Now if your curious, since the iPhone OS is just a OS X variant I would assume that iPhones, and Touches are formatted in HFS+. Would someone confirm that for me? That being said, it is apples way to abstract these things away so users do not have to deal with this and it has been that way for years now.