Pwnage & Root Password

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by JGO, Jan 27, 2011.

1. JGO, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

JGO macrumors member

Just got a used T-Mobile Germany iPhone 3GS which I jailbroke using Pwnage. I did not need to unlock it as it works with my T-Mobile Germany SIM card. Cydia was NOT installed.

However, I remember hearing of people who jailbroke (not sure what process was used) their phones, only to find out that the method resulted in a common root password. Some of these individuals found out too late, and were compromised before they could change the password.

Does the Pwnage jailbreak, using an ipsw downloaded from Apple, result in a changed root password on the iPhone?

2. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Standard pwd is 'alpine' and you're right - you should change this right way. Btw, if you jailbroke it then Cydia was installed, if it's not there then your jailbreak is botched up and btw, if you did not require an unlock and don't have Cydia/OpenSSH installed what good is a jb? =)

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/comments.php?enid=5883

3. JGO thread starter macrumors member

Well, the only reason I attempted the jailbreak was to get around the fact that the "restored" iPhone would not activate with my SIM. I followed the process for pwnage: built the custom ipsw, put the iPhone in DFU mode, restore from custom ipsw in iTunes. During the process I actually tried to install Cydia (prior to clicking on "build") but no resources were listed and it did not install. Despite this, I am confident that whatever Pwnage did with the stock apple firmware, it resulted in a phone that I can use.

This activated the iPhone and it accepted my SIM (same carrier but not an iPhone contract SIM). I am happy with the outcome as this solved the "problem" I had.

So if Cydia/OpenSSH was not installed then I do not have an issue with the root password? I find no trace of the cydia icon on the iPhone. I will check out the link you provided. Thank you.

4. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

The no-frills answer is that w/o OpenSSH you're as safe as can be when you're jailbroken. Mind you, you should still be very cautious with unknown wifi hotspots!

Eventually after reading through some of these threads you WILL miss Cydia and the awesome tweaks =)

5. JGO thread starter macrumors member

Even if I use the "search iPhone" feature - no hits for Cydia on the phone itself.
    So Cydia and OpenSSH are installed together and if I find not evidence of Cydia then no OpenSSH?

I wish there were an easy way to test the root password - for peace of mind.

Thank you for the responses.

6. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

You're most welcome. OpenSSH is not an application with an icon as such, it's a 'protocol' which is installed via Cydia. What you could do is hook your iPhone up to the same wifi network as you PC and try and connect to it using WinSCP for Windows or Cyberduck for OSX via wifi. W/o OpenSSH installed this won't be possible. (http://cydia.saurik.com/openssh.html)

If you cooked your own Custom IPSW in PwnageTool I'd say that you're safe but again, you're Cydia installation is botched and if I were you I'd definetely do it all over again and make sure you get Cydia to work - or you won't get access to some of the necessary and sometimes critical updates when they come out. (w/ updates I mean core jailbreak files/addons and and not tweaks/apps etc.)