Pwnage tool 4.1.2--bricked entering DFU?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by urbanmojo, Jan 7, 2011.

1. urbanmojo macrumors member

I am running iPhone 3G with 3.1.2. Trying to upgrade to 4.1 using Pwnage tool 4.1.2. I successfully created the custom ipsw but at the end of the DFU process my phone went black and I got a "failed to enter DFU mode" from Pwnage tool, which then proceeds to tell me I "successfully entered DFU mode" (??) I cannot turn the phone back on, using home or power button. If I connect to iTunes, I get a message saying "itunes must check the iphone software update server to identify this device". I can choose "cancel" or "check", but I just choose cancel--too scared to check anything. Running iTunes 10.1, BTW.

Hope my phone isn't bricked--any way out of this? I followed the steps correctly...

Thanks.

2. urbanmojo thread starter macrumors member

OK, if I hold both buttons down again for 8-10 seconds it reboots to normal iPhone mode (since it wasn't in recovery mode--what state was that exactly??)

Anyway, I tried again and it fails to put into recovery mode, just shuts it off so iTunes doesn't recognize it and I have to do a double button restart just to get the phone back and working.

How do I get it in DFU mode since I can't seem to do it with Pwnage Tool?

3. urbanmojo thread starter macrumors member

..and if I plug it back into my computer after booting it iTunes sees it as per normal. Can I just do a Option-Key+Restore button at this point without being in DFU mode and choosing my custom FW?

4. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I want to say this is a sign that you shouldn't put 4.x on a 3G since it is such a dog on firmware greater than 3.x.

Why not place the phone into dfu without using pwnagetool? You don't have to use that program to do this. Without being able to observe what you are doing I would guess it is operator error. Often times I'm able to restore to custom firmware without having to be in dfu.

5. urbanmojo thread starter macrumors member

I've done some reading and it seems my phone was in DFU mode (black screen) but iTunes doesn't recognize it and gives me that prompt. (or maybe that prompt is normal, I don't know). I saw with OS 10.5.6 there was an issue where you had to plug the phone into a USB hub--I have 10.6.6. Is that still a fix that might work?

6. urbanmojo thread starter macrumors member

@hackthatphone I am going to try 4.1 without multitasking--have heard that isn't so bad. I would stay on 3.1.2, but want to see if upgrading will fix an issue I'm having with a new battery where the battery meter always shows full even went it is just about dead.

I had tried 4.0 (and enabled multitasking in the jailbreak) and that was indeed a dog. A slow lame dog that had been kicked a few times (or, should I say, just like Windows) :).

7. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Certainly try plugging into a hub, or use another cable or use another usb port on your Mac. Try rebooting everything too.

itunes has to recognize your iphone and it will give you a prompt about being in recovery mode when you are in dfu mode.

8. urbanmojo thread starter macrumors member

The issue with the error: "itunes must check the ipod software update server to identify this device" was that I needed to turn automatic updates on in iTunes preferences. Also, according to other threads you need to use Pwnage tool to put into DFU mode because it injects something or other into the phone during that time. That makes sense given my experience--the last time I had put into DFU mode without Pwnage tool I got error 1600. I went back and did it with Pwnage tool and it worked fine.