pwnage tool...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by wolfgang666, Jan 1, 2012.

1. wolfgang666 macrumors regular

i created custom ipsw (ios 5.0.1) and selected "activate my phone" in the options.

but this does not activate the phone..
    thankfully i had the original sim lying around to activate the phone.

anyone else face the same problem..

i have one more phone which i need to jailbreak but i dont have an original at&t sim to activate..
    so im hoping for some kinda solution..

thanks a lot in advance guys...

2. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Try "de-selecting" the active my phone.

More info from the iclarified website - hope this helps.

3. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

the "activate my iphone" feature is broken in the current version of pwnage tool (didnt know this until i read through a few pages of comments - its weird because every version of pwnage tool ive used, activation works fine).

the solution is to download the latest version of redsn0w to bypass activation. once you've downloaded redsn0w, click the jailbreak button and do exactly what it says (wont upgrade baseband, wont touch anything else!) and voila - it'll bypass the activation! i asked this same question a few days ago and no one answered me, so i took the risk and did it myself.

4. wolfgang666 thread starter macrumors regular

this does not help me because i need the phone already activated as i do not hav an at&t sim to activate it..

5. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

You don't want to be using pwnagetool 501 anyway, they still haven't updated it with the the fixes for the issues that redsn0w initially had (launchctl and mobil substrate).

6. wolfgang666 thread starter macrumors regular

thx a lot for your reply..

just to be clear do i use redsn0w after i have restored using the custom ipsw creating with the help of pwnage tool??

or can i use redsnow directly to create custom ipsw and then jailbreak to activate the phone??

----------

i wish someone had told me this earlier..
    but i used it to update one of the phones i have and it seems to be working fine without any problems..
    except i faced the issue with the "activate the phone"...

7. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

U know u can use the same att sim that u used for the first phone u activated.

8. wolfgang666 thread starter macrumors regular

i cannot because the first phone i activated is from UK and i used "Orange" sim to activate it..

9. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Interesting. Have you installed any jailbreak applications yet and tested them?

Pwnagetool was released at the same time that redsn0w was with the untether. They have since updated redsn0w twice to fix bugs, and haven't said anything about pwnagetool. The link still has the same version number. It stands to reason the launchctl and mobile substrate issues that plagued redsn0w version 1 are still in Pwnagetool 501.

10. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

i used redsn0w after i restored with a custom ipsw from pwnage tool! redsn0w will jailbreak/hactivate for you. like hackthatiphone mentioned, pwnagetool needs to be updated to include the jailbreak fixes so for now, use redsn0w.

just to make it clear:

-had a canadian (bell) locked iphone 4
    -created custom ipsw from pwnage tool for ios 5.0.1
    -restored custom ipsw to canadian iphone 4
    -phone restored fine, stuck on activation screen
    -downloaded latest version of redsn0w
    -press jailbreak button, followed exactly what it says (instructions to go into pwned dfu mode, etc)
    -make sure to *only* select "install cydia" when it gives you a list of 4 things to pick from
    -wait until phone turns back on and you can then go through the initial setup just fine!

11. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

If you have to have the custom ipsw that pwnagetool makes (which incorporates the jailbreak, cydia and any pre-installed firmware) you could use the defective pwnagetool, then run your phone through the newest redsn0w to clean up the buggy jailbreak.

Why the team doesn't just stick the update in this program and put out a solid piece of software I fail to understand. Either fix it or pull it so people don't suffer from a buggy jailbreak (in case they don't know).

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why dont you fix it and put out your own JB tool then since you're trying to talk down to them like that?
    Yet you use their "FREE" tools and charge people for tutorials and so called "assistance" on your website.:rolleyes:
    If it wasnt for them your site wouldnt even exist hypocrite.

13. wolfgang666 thread starter macrumors regular

i still dont know what is the issue with pwnage tool...
    my phone is working fine with all notifications working well..

could applejuiced or hackthatphone point out what is the problem with the jailbreak..
    if you feel its necessary to clean up the jailbreak with the latest redsnow, i will do it..
    so please let me know...

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its a few minor issues pointed above by hackthatphone. They dont effect everyone out there but if you have time mind as well do run the redsnow tool. It cant hurt and it will make sure you wont have those particular problems with cydia in the future.

15. wolfgang666 thread starter macrumors regular

cheers for that mate..
    will take your advice and use redsn0w for a clean jailbreak...

16. hackthatphone, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

You may not realize this but any newbie going to their site would download pwnagetool use it for the jailbreak and then have a phone with issues (launchtcl, mobile substrate, pretty big deals).

I think it's irresponsible to not note that. I don't care who you are.

Yes I use their free tools. They do great work. That's why I'm shocked at the way this latest pwnagetool is being handled. Nobody is perfect. We all make mistakes. Time for this mistake to be fixed.

Why don't I fix it? Because I'm not the one running their site with a link to a program that everyone in the world comes to that says use this to jailbreak your iphone that's why.

Rolling my eyes right back at you tough guy! Whatever you seem to have serious issues.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Seems like you nailed it.
    You're using their "free" tools and talking crap.
    Like you care that much about the newbies.
    Maybe they will pay you to give them some of the dev teams free tools to jb and unlock their iPhone.