pwnage vs jailbreakme?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Gavbo, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Gavbo macrumors member

For a 3Gs which is best? any advise? I am currently pwned on 3.1.2

Are there any advanages for preserveing my old base band (5.11.07)? maybe for future software upgrades?

The recently release of ultrasnow unlock over blacksn0w has been working great for me on 3.1.2, with better battery life, no wifi issues, no corrupting baseband files every couples of months.

Thanks in advances.

2. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Well, here's what I did and I hate it:

I updated from 3.1.3 to 4.0 then 4.0.1. I realized I hated 4.anything, so I downgraded again to 3.1.3. I now have an updated baseband, and it seems that my MyWi won't work anymore (says it's unauthorized), and my Twitter app just boots me back to the homescreen. Think long and hard about whether or not you want 4.0 or 4.0.1.

Or, if you really do want 4.anything, send me a PM, I'll gladly trade you my 32GB 3GS for yours :) (if it's also a 3GS, size doesn't matter)

3. The General macrumors 601

Upgrade to 4.0.1, jailbreak with jailbreakme.com, install Ultrasn0w.

There is no benefit to keeping the old baseband or firmware.

4. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

5. Kayan macrumors 6502

There is benefit if he wants to keep his unlock guaranteed. Check out the other thread about this that has recently been commented on

6. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

jailbreakme's hack will be blocked in 4.1. When that happens you'll have a new boot rom, new base band and you can either stay where you are forever hoping they'll jailbreak it or upgrade to official firmware.

Pwnage tool will allow you to keep jailbreaking/unlocking your phone for the foreseeable future.

Anyone who says to use jailbreakme instead of pwnage isn't giving out the best advice, or doesn't understand the implications.

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

+1 If you have a pwned or pwnable phone, you should definitely stay on the jailbreak train. By doing so, you will guarantee yourself an almost immediate jailbreak of all future versions and you will be able to preserve your ability to use ultrasn0w when 4.1 is released. The General's advice is incredibly shortsighted.

ETA: Check out my fuller response here.

8. The General macrumors 601

Unlock for newest baseband is out. There is no reason to keep the old one. The same software unlocks both basebands.

If you think the only way to jailbreak 4.1 will be an "upgrade train" using pwnage, you are mistaken.

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

If you can't use PwnageTool to upgrade to 4.1, you will not be able to do so and continue to keep the current baseband. Nor can we know how soon or even if any future version will be jailbroken. Those of us on the jailbreak train were able to jailbreak 4.0 back in June; those who weren't had to wait weeks to jailbreak 4.0. And who knows when the next hacktivating jailbreak will arrive?

Your advice limits people's future options, and is therefore very bad. Please stop advising people to unpwn their phones. It is foolish and shortsighted to do so.

10. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

More incorrect information...

baseband is unlocked yes... however there is still no unlock for the new bootrom. If you upgrade to that you could be locked out of future pwn's.

Basically you'll always be able to pwn if you use pwnage tool now.

You may not be able to pwn if you don't.

Please god stop spreading false information. Go check the facts first!

11. anonymouz1828 macrumors regular

Confusing newbie ...

I have a 3G with 3.1.3 & 05.12.01. No point for me to update to OS 4 because 3G only get folder option (jailbreak can give me folder too). I was thinking to use spirit to jailbreak and ultrasnow to unlock. I was never planning to use 'jailbreakme.com' but I just saw on youtube how easy it was to do jailbreak with 'jailbreakme.com'.

After reading this thread and another thread (provided by thelatinist), I think apple prevent jailbreak and unlock by changing bootroom and baseband, right?
    Does it mean if I 'jailbreakme.com' and then unlock it, then I cannot update future baseband since it will lock my phone right?
    I think i can always download back firmware 3.1.3 & 05.12.01 and then 'jailbreakme.com' and unlock again, right?
    If i jailbreak and unlock, can i still connect my 3G on itunes??

12. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

A 3Gis more or less fully hacked now. The issues i was highlighting are with the 3GS. If you upgrade a 3G then you'll be able to downgrade it easily enough. Apple built more safe guards into the 3GS.

13. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Nope.

And that's the problem right there for those who defend the jailbreak train. The train is useless if the program isn't updated. So the "choice" people have right now is stay stranded at the station with PwnageTool on 4.0, or hop on a bus and move forward to 4.0.1 with jailbreakme.com.

It's your decision. Look how long redsn0w went without updates.

I will not debate the merits of 4.0.1. That's not my point.

14. anonymouz1828 macrumors regular

Oh ok .. thanks. I will jailbreak on jailbreakme.com hehe.

15. The General macrumors 601

Not a single iPhone 4 is pwned right now. If the dev team isn't working on a fresh "pwned" jailbreak for 4.1 on all devices, then the iPhone hacking world is over and it's a moot point.

Ever since Spirit came out, fewer and fewer people have been on the jailbreak train. Only a select few are still pwned at this point. The dev team would be crazy to support just those people.

Based on their behavior lately of making us wait until it's so easy a caveman could do it and works on all devices, there most definitely will not be another segmented iPhone jailbreak.

Only linux neck beards with tin foil hats would worry about something like this and stay at an old firmware and baseband.

No. The more people on iOS 4 the better.

Incorrect information indeed. Ultrasn0w 1.0-1 will unlock any jailbroken iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. It doesn't care what bootrom you have.

Old bootrom, new bootrom, who gives a ****?

Then don't upgrade to 4.1, since you're willing to stay back at 3.x when there are newer firmwares, why not stay at the newer, nicer one? You guys make no sense.

16. idevSteve macrumors member

"Only linux neck beards with tin foil hats would worry about something like this..."

...aahaha
    I fell out of my chair. Thanks

17. Gavbo thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for your inputs and advises.

I do agree with less and less peoples on the pwned train, developers have less motives to work on further pwnage solutions.

However when the next ios release patches jailbreakme it could mark the end of further userland updates (maybe for a very long time anyway), in addition the next big ios release will likely to drop support for 3gs by staying pwned, I am keeping my options open if the pwnage tools supports it that is.

Seems foolish to jump at this moment in time for 4.0.1

agree?

18. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

OP, go with what u currently have right now, pwned

19. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

100%. Glad you could wade through the misinformation. And, yes, 4.0.1 is a cosmetic update with no practical use. This is why the Dev-Team hasn't bothered updating PwnageTool.

Finally, there are still lots of people on the jailbreak train, including all the Dev-Team. I would like to add that if you have your 3.1.2 SHSH on file you can jailbreak using any method you like, secure in the knowledge that you can always get back on the jailbreak train by downgrading.

20. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

You are correct. Ultra snow will unlock your phone, if you can install it. If you have new boot rom and they block the userland hack used by jailbreakme.com then you won't be able to jailbreak the device to install cydia.

Doesn't matter then if ultrasnow works because you can't install it.

So you are right, it will unlock, but you can't install the unlock...

I'm at 4.0.1 PWN'd. I didn't have to wait for dev team to do the unlock.

21. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Interesting arguments made on both sides. One point worth considering in the view of the future is that every model probably has an optimum level of FW beyond which it is probably not worth going. Apple is going to be developing future version of the software with the IP 4 in mind, in terms of its processor and memory capability. While it might always be backward compatible it may not necessarily run very well. It would seem from comments of performance reviewed on here that 3.1.3 was probably optimum for the 3G and maybe 4.0.1 is for the 3GS. It is something that is worth taking into consideration when making the decision.

22. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I'd say "Correct arguments on one side, incorrect and misleading arguments on the other". But i'm biased :)

Although both are interesting, however one side is a tad irritating. Like speaking to someone who argues the white house is actually a very light shade of red. You know they are wrong, you can show they are wrong, but they still believe it. You just hope other people see that you are presenting the correct argument given the facts that are freely available.

You are onto somethere here. This is another reason to use pwnage. You are more likely to be able to downgrade if needed. Apple might release a new bootrom which makes your 3GS incompatible with earlier firmwares. If you are pwn'd then you'll never get this bootrom and never be blocked.

23. The General macrumors 601

Benefits of waiting at 3.1.2: ???

Benefits of waiting at 4.0.1: http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

You're right, the entire dev team is on the jailbreak train. Well, except for all the phones they used to test Comex's userland jailbreaks (you know, spirit and jailbreakme.com 2.0) and all of their iPhone 4s for which they are now optimizing their software (like cyntact).

No, but you're right, all of their phones are pwned. :rolleyes:

And if he has his SHSH on file, upgrading to 4.0.1 really doesn't even remove him from the jailbreak train, which completely eliminates any argument on your side to stay at 3.1.2.

Well, except that you can install it, because you can jailbreak with jailbreakme.com.

Worrying about old bootrom, new bootrom theses days is like worrying about which sources are OK add to Installer on your 1.x jailbroken iPhone.

It's sort of like a christian arguing with an athiest. Only, I am the athiest in the analogy and you are the christian.

Bootroms can not be upgraded. If they could, don't you think Apple would have upgraded everyone's bootrom to the new one? Or maybe this is just like saying the white house is a very light shade of red.

Downgrades are unaffected by pwnage.

Anyway, OP: Have fun with your dwindling App Store support, lack of native multitasking, folders, etc.

24. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

The original iPhone had it's boot rom updated. Just google 3.9 and 4.6 bootloader.

However the process could lead to bricked iPhones. So apple stopped enforcing it.

I have searched but have not read about of any 3GS having it's bootrom updated with an official IPSW (although it is possible). I am still looking for confirmation on this. Personally i don't want to 'risk' unpwning my phone only to find out i'll never be able to pwn again.

So maybe you are right. Maybe the OP can upgrade to an office IPSW and use unlockme.com. Maybe then they'll be able to revert to an older firmware and repwn, if they have kept shsh blobs.

I don't want to take that chance and i wouldn't advise the OP to either though.

I'll be onto you when 4.1 comes out. Asking if you have jailbroken your phone or not. It'll be interesting to see who will have been better off. Me with my pwn'd phone, or you with your phone that used unlockme.

25. Shorts. macrumors member

ok here is my 2 cents..i agree with the general.. why would you stay at 3.1.2 when you can upgrade SAFELY to 4.0.1 and unlock your iphone no problem.. if you wait at 3.1.2 and apple releases 4.1 your screwed out of a jailbreak and unlock untill the devteam/ comex release something.. because in 4.1 they are fixing the exploit used for jailbreakme.com