PwnageTool, 4.1, and iPhone 3G [Successful]

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by GFLPraxis, Sep 25, 2010.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I've got an iPhone 3G that runs unbearably slow on 4.01. I'm also unlocked to T-Mobile, which means that I know I can't run redsn0w as I'll lose my unlock when the official update updates my baseband.

I see that PwnageTool can update a 3GS with the old bootrom to 4.1 jailbroken (source: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-jailbreak-iphone-3gs-on-ios-4.1-with-pwnagetool-guide/ ), and if PwnageTool works as I remember it, you can prevent the baseband update from occurring. However, I can't find any documentation as to whether or not this special version of PwnageTool works for an iPhone 3G; it only references iPhone 3GS w/old baseband.

Any thoughts as to whether this version of PwnageTool can allow me to get to 4.1 while preserving my unlock on a 3G, not 3GS?

2. DarkCloud2015 macrumors member

DarkCloud2015

I would wait for PwnageTool to be updated for 4.1

3. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It worked! I'm on iOS 4.1, 5.13.04 baseband, unlocked to T-Mobile, voice and MMS functioning. MUCH snappier, whew. Thanks!

4. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I'll stick with official releases from the dev team and not some random file on megaupload.

5. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Say what you will, my phone is now much more responsive thanks to the 4.1 update, and functioning perfectly. Also fixed a few minor issues I was having that were annoying me. Would do again in a heartbeat.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.

7. lumpen macrumors newbie

Hi - did you have any problem restoring your old backup? I tried the same method, and jailbreak and unlock worked. But I couldn't restore data back into my iphone 3g - itunes complains that it can't start a session with the iphone. Did you have the same problem or it just work?

8. DarkCloud2015 macrumors member

DarkCloud2015

Can you post a screenshot of Settings > General > About? With firmware and modem firmware visible?

9. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

cubbie5150

Man, I'm so tempted to try the unofficial PwnageTool. I'm still on Pwned iOS4.0 (iPhone 3G S).... Must resist.

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Although I can confirm that my baseband is still 05.13.04 after upgrading via this method, I personally would not try it if I relied on my unlock. Since I do not and I have my SHSHs on-file, I felt safe enough giving it a shot.

11. DarkCloud2015 macrumors member

DarkCloud2015

I just wanted proof that it actually works. Since I do depend on ultrasn0w, I'm going to wait for PwnageTool.