PwnageTool and 1600 error, what to do?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by -aggie-, May 4, 2010.

1. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Jailbroke to 3.1.2 on a 3G using PwnageTool. I decided I wanted to redo the jailbreak, but when I did I got the 1600 error in iTunes on my MBP. I've read the error can be bypassed by either (1) not going into DFU mode and just option-restoring with the custom .ipsw or (2) reinstalling iTunes. I'm doubting the iTunes fix, but I'm not sure about the other. Any thoughts on how this is supposed to work for a re-jailbreak?

Edit: I forgot about this one other fix: delete restore files found in ~/Library/iTunes/Device Support.

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Hmm, have you restored to a factory firmware and tried again? Also what version iTunes do you have?

3. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

That would kind of defeat the purpose of a custom .ipsw, if I had to restore to a factory firmware (also, in iTunes it would only allow me to go to 3.1.3).

I have 9.0.3 for itunes.

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

No, it wouldn't. :)

Worse case restore to a 3.0.1 normal Apple-issued one, see if it works ok. If it does, then make the custom firmware and try again. I would also try and upgrade iTunes to 9.1 (not 9.1.1).

I've been building a forensic toolkit for a presentation in my cybercriminology class and had issues trying to use a 2.x firmware base (I have been getting 1600 errors too) with trying to overwrite a 3.0.1 firmware. Apple often changes how iTunes communicates with the device and a 16xx is indicative of a USB communication error.

Go here:
    http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/IPhone_Firmware_Download_Links#iPhone_3G

Download the firmware you want (I always suggest 3.0.1 so it keeps the 4.26.x baseband, best for unlocking unless you ahve upgraded to 3.1 or higher already). Once downloaded, hold the Option key and click Restore and it will let you select which firmware to restore.

After it's restored, try Pwnage again with the firmware bundle you like, perhaps 3.1.3. Since you have a 3G this should all work ok.

Hope that helps!

5. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm glad I jailbroke now and would never go back to stock, but the reason I jailbroke in the first place was due to the fact I couldn't option-restore to 3.0.1 when I wanted to restore my phone and setup as new, and thus I was forced to go to 3.1.2, resulting in me losing my tethering capability from a hack I had (the Stealth AT&T one). So, saying I could just pop in my iPhone to iTunes and downgrade is not exactly true (at least it wasn't in my case). The only was I could that and use the hack (and now it doesn't matter being jailbroken, since I have a number of ways to tether) was to jailbreak. I'd guess if I tried to option-restore and pick 3.1.2 it wouldn't work either and I'd have to go to 3.1.3 (which is not going to happen, such that I lose unlocking).