PwnageTool wont recognize 5.0.1 firmware for custom ipsw, upgrading 3GS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by threetimesdaily, Jan 12, 2012.

1. threetimesdaily macrumors member

Hi, I'm trying to upgrade my iphone 3G S from 4.2.1 to 5.0.1 but I need to preserve the baseband so it can still be unlocked.

When I try to select a 5.0.1 ipsw in Pwnage Tool 4.3 to create a custom ipsw, I get "Wrong firmware bundle selected."

I've downloaded three different ios 5.0.1 ipsw's, all were rejected.
    They claim to be official Apple files, this was the one I used most recently
    http://cydiahelp.com/download-ios-5.0.1-to-the-public-jailbreakers-stay-away/.

From my understanding Utrasn0w is not compatible with the new baseband so what should I do to upgrade if I need it unlocked?

Any insite would be appreciated

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

You need the LATEST pwnagetool to use 5.0.1 firmware. Every time a new firmware comes out a newer version of redsn0w/pwnagetool comes out. You can't just keep using that pwnagetool you downloaded 9 months ago to work on newer firmware.

And the 5.0.1 pwnagetool has issues as none of the patches put into redsn0w have been put into pwnagetool which means your jailbreak will be screwed up once you've used pwnagetool. So what you'd need to do is then rejailbreak with redsn0w to get all those patches.

Best to just skip pwnagetool until the program gets updated. redsn0w has a preserve baseband feature as well.

3. threetimesdaily thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, redsn0w worked perfectly for the custom ipsw. I put the phone in DFU mode, restored with custom ipsw but got an error halfway through and am now trying to get out of recovery mode. For some reason TinyUmbrella wont recognize it. Oh well, but thanks again that was all I needed.

4. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Redsn0w has a kick out of recovery feature for restore errors.

5. threetimesdaily thread starter macrumors member

yeah I tried using it and it just reads unexpected error immediately. I've tried using redsn0w, tinyumbrella, recboot, & reb00t mee. nothing has worked yet

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hold on.
    You're supposed to put the phone in "pwned" DFU mode with redsnow in order to be able to install the custom ipsw with itunes.
    Not just regural DFU mode.
    That's probably your problem.
    Put it in Pwned DFU using redsnow, then open itunes and select the custom no_bb.ipsw you created with redsnow.

7. threetimesdaily thread starter macrumors member

That's what I meant to say, I used pwned DFU mode in redsn0w. It started to restore with the custom ipsw and then stopped with an error. I then realized that I was a dumbass for not downloading the latest version of itunes, so I'm sure that's why there was an error but I cant retry bc I'm still in recovery mode.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can redo it. Update itunes first.
    Then all you gotta do is open redsnow and put your phone back to pwned dfu mode.
    Then restore to the custom JB ipsw.

9. threetimesdaily thread starter macrumors member

Thanks that worked, it restored completely. Now it's in recovery mode? Im not sure it just has a lit black screen. I've tried using redsn0w to jailbreak it but it switches to some screen that says "Exploid Failed" or "No Identifiable data fetched" as soon as you start to jailbreak, this same thing happens with "Recovery Fix."

10. threetimesdaily, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

threetimesdaily thread starter macrumors member

It restores completely but then is stuck in recovery mode and redsn0w says "No identifiable data fetched" when I try to jailbreak or Recovery Fix.

When I go to enter pwned DFU mode, redsn0w shows the screen with the countdown, but after 2 seconds it starts going into pwned DFU mode and says that I am in pwned DFU mode without even going through the steps. My phone just displays a lit or unlit black screen during everything but recovery.

I should have mentioned this before and this is probably a much bigger problem than I've realized but I accidentally deleted Cydia a few weeks ago when I removed a package that didn't work. It warned me that deleting the app could cause Cydia not to work but I deleted it anyway and Cydia went with it.

Does this mean my phone isn't recognizable with a custom ipsw? Do I need to restore with my old firmware, 4.2.1?

EDIT-------

I was able to initiate jailbreak by manually selecting stock ipsw in redsn0w, but after the process began, it said "The connected device doesn't support untethered options"

11. Applejuiced, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I give up dude.
    I have no idea what you're doing.

12. b0bab0i macrumors regular

You have to do the restore before you do the jailbreak.

13. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Try pwnage to see if that works smoother, then rerun redsnow after to get the updates.

Also btw, how did you delete cydia while in cydia?? What program did you delete?

14. threetimesdaily thread starter macrumors member

I'm pretty sure it was the fart machine app in "Toys", the app wouldn't open so I went to remove it from Cydia. I got a warning saying removing the package could remove stuff that Cydia needed in order to run correctly or something similar. I removed it anyway and Cydia was gone.

I finally got redsn0w to work with my iphone after a restore so everything's working fine thanks for the help.